Last week I finally got my larva rocks so this week decided to have a go. I made 3 batches of 2 loaves, 3 different breads that I often make, so nothing new there. Made dough yesterday and did the final proof overnight in the fridge. Preheated the oven for about 1 hour with larva rocks and DO. 15 minutes before I baked added container of steaming towells. So first to bake was my version of Field Blend #2, one batard in DO the other on the baking stone. Added boiling water to larva rocks and baked 15 minutes lid on, and steam, then 15 minutes lid off, no steam. this is the two loaves at rear of photo. Quite disappointed with oven spring of the one on the stone (right hand loaf) compared to the DO version on left.
Repeated with next batch - 1:2:3 with 30% multigrain flour, single score on both. This time I put more water in steaming towells and more on larva rocks. this is the middle row. This time the one on the stone is marginally better than the one in the DO on left.
Finally, the last batch my favourite multigrain loaf. this one I scored DO with 3 slashes and the one on the stone a single score. Made extra sure there was plenty of water in steaming towell and on larva rocks. This time the one on the stone is definitely better.
to me there seems to be a definite improvement as the bake went on, much steam giving a better result.
the crumb shot (aligned as per original) shows the same improvement.
Lesson learned!!! lots and lots of free water onsteaming towells and larva rocks required to create lots and lots of steam - far more than I had ever imagined. And to top things off, I accidentallt touched my oven mitt on the top element and ended up with a mini fire on my hand so now have to replace my favourite heavy oven mitt :(