Olive oil banana bread
My sweet bread-loving best friend suffered a heart attack last year, and since then I've been searching for and experimenting with lower-fat, healthy versions of his favourite recipes. This incredibly easy moist, delicious loaf, adapted from Bonnie Stern's Best of HeartSmart Cooking is not only lower in fat, but what fat it contains is mono or polyunsaturated, which boosts HDL (good) cholesterol.
How good is this loaf? My best friend says to remind you that it's only lower in fat if you don't eat the whole loaf in one sitting -- a feat he accomplished the first time I made it for him.
1 cup (250ml) mashed bananas (2 medium)
1/2 cup (125ml) unflavoured low fat yogurt
1 tsp (5ml) baking soda
2 egg whites
3/4 cup (175ml) brown sugar
1/4 cup (60ml) light (light-tasting) olive oil
1 tsp (5ml) vanilla
1 cup (250ml) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250ml) whole-wheat flour
1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
optional: 1 cup (250ml) walnuts or chopped chocolate pieces*, or half and half of each.
- In a small bowl, combine bananas, yogurt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg whites, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Blend well.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder and salt. Mix together well.
- Combine banana mixture with oil mixture. Add to dry ingedients in a large bowl an stir together just until moisteneed.
- Add walnuts and/or chocolate if desired.
- Spoon batter into a non-stick, lightly oiled, or parchment-lined 8 x 4 inch (1.5L) loaf pan. Bake in preheated 350F (180C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until thermometer inserted into loaf reaches at least 190F (88C).
Makes 1 small loaf of 12 slices, with the nutritional content, per slice (without walnuts or chocolate):
- calories 178
- protein 3g
- fat 4g
- carbohydrate 30g
- fibre 1g
- sodium 136g
- potassium 182mg
*I buy and chop coarsely a 100 gram dark chocolate bar of at least 70% cocoa, as dark cocoa products of at least this intensity are now believed to lower hypertension risk. http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/news/20070409/chocolate-lowers-blood-pressure .
Bonnie Stern Best of HeartSmart Cooking http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/HeartSmart-Bonnie-Stern/9780679314127-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+%2527Bonnie+Stern%2527