Tartine - Rye Country Loaf with added whole wheat
I decided to try the rye bread from the Tartine Bread book. This is the fourth formula I have more or less followed from the Book. I've made the Basic Country Loaf numerous times, the Walnut Country Loaf once (my favorite bread so far), the Whole Wheat country loaf, and now the rye.
I only had 500 gram so AP flour in the house, so I made up the rest with home-milled hard red winter wheat berries. And the rye flour called for in the formula was also home milled.
For this bread, I reverted to a levain that was made 50% with AP and 50% with milled whole wheat flour. I did this because I was advised that my 100% milled whole wheat levain looked past its peak and I figured I could slow things down a bit if I used less whole wheat flour in the Levain. Plus, that is the formula he suggests in the book.
The dough was very sticky before the autolyse. And, after the autolyse it was also very sticky. I was a bit worried about this, so I wound up taking the dough out of the container and doing some slap and folds after the autolyse and then again, after the first 30 minutes. I really did see the dough develop from doing this, and while it remained sticky, it was much less so.
I have since learned that rye flour makes a very sticky starter (reading Flour Water Salt and Yeast by Ken Forkish now), and I assume that this played a role in the sticky dough even though the Tartine formula does not call for a high percentage of rye flour.
I believe the dough's starting temperature was 79 degrees. It moved up to 80-81 over the first 2-3 hours while it fermented in the oven with the light on. For the last hour I took it out and left it at room temperature.
The dough came out of the container okay, but it was sticky. I used a generous amount of flour on the top of the dough, flipped it, pre-shaped and let it rest, followed by the shaping. The dough was fine for the most part, with only a little tackiness in a couple of spots. I used extra rye flour and sifted it over the boules, together with some rice flour, scooped them up and put them in my baskets, which were generously floured with the rye flour I milled earlier in the day.
I proofed the loaves in the fridge for about 8 hours and then baked. They came out of the baskets quite easily, and I took a pastry brush to remove some of the excess flour before scoring and baking.
Two hours later, the bread was still soft and warm and oh so delicious. The following morning, the bread was still quite moist and made delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch.
And, two days after baking, it made another delicious Peanutbutter sandwich. The crumb is a perfect blend of chew and moistness.
One of the loaves bloomed a bit better than the other, but both are quite good.
There was no real sour flavor, something I attribute to skipping the overnight proofing. I skipped the overnight proofing because I was worried that the dough would overproof and become sticky whereas I could tell that the loaves would release after rising adequately over about 8 hours.
The bread also has no distinct rye flavor that I could discern. Perhaps that was because I wound up using more whole wheat flour than rye. Or perhaps I don't really know what rye bread is supposed to taste like. Either way, I will make this loaf again, perhaps with added rye. I doubt I will reduce the whole wheat though.