4-5 hour car ride with bread dough (different from other thread!)...
I'm not sure if sourdough starter instead of dry yeast plays a role in the decision I should make about how to transport my dough...
10 or 11 hours from now I will have levain dough that has been bulk-fermenting. Ken Forkish's recipe says to then shape and proof for about another 4 hours. But I'd like to take it on a 4-5 hour drive and then decide what to do with it once at the house I'm going to (bread or pizza).
I've only been fermenting it for about a half-hour now so I could stop everything I'm doing (it's supposed to be done in room temp for this particular recipe) and retard it in fridge for the remaining time. And then maybe it could slowly rise on the drive? Or, I could just keep things the way they're supposed to be, according to his recipe. But even then, in what condition should I transport it? When the 12 hours have passed and it's leavened, should I make the two balls and then:
- wrap up tightly and store in fridge till I leave about 4 hours after that? I can bring cooler, or not.
- wrap up tightly and freeze till I leave 4 hours later? I can bring cooler, or not.
- wrap up loosely and allow balls to rise, then transport them on the drive while they continue to rise (though they may fall and flatten at that point!)?
- shape them (put in bannetons) - if I decide to do bread instead of pizza - then put them in fridge until time to go then let them continue to retard in cooler until we get there?
Thank you so much! I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love this forum!