ANOTHER attempt at an open crumb
Maybe I should write a diary instead of all these posts!
So I have tried so many different things, and I am getting closer!
Turns out not to do much how I knead (or Autolyse), Underkneading did give irregular holes, but not very big.
What preferment also did very little for me, but I still like the taste I get with a poolish.
Amount and direction of heat was also of less concern, as long as I remembered to score the bread (which I forgot this time around)
What really seemed to do a difference was that I developed the gluten really well, had 75% hydration, and then did stretch and fold trying to catch bubbles. Not LARGE bubbles, just a little bit. I got this idea from breadcetera.com and Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking.
The gas from the yeast usually enlarges already existing bubbles, so if there are a few larger pockets, they will naturally stay relatively larger.
So whenever I did stretch and fold in the beginning, I made sure to stretch the dough well, and really fold it unto itself.
The dough was 600g AP flour, 15g oil, 2tsp kosher salt, 450g water, 2 pea-size bits of yeast. One in the poolish of 200g/200g flour/water, and one in before bulk fermentation.
Here is the result, baked at 275C for 30 min with baking stone for upper heat, baking steel for lower heat, and 2 bowls with lavarocks for steam.
I cut it a little early I admit..
I don't know if I can take it further, but I am happy that my experiments are finally paying off, now I can start trying to refine it.