Timtune the chocolate torte looked great! How about sharing the recipe. I'm in the process of making a garlic cheese loaf and just some plain white bread.
Sure kathym, here's the recipe. It works for other kinda nuts too, like almonds, but mebbe walnuts would be too oily to ground..
Choc. Hazelnut Torte
3/4 Cup castor sugar
6 eggs, seperated
125g dark chocolate, grated
2 Cups or 250g Hazelnuts (pre-ground or toasted and ground in processor)
*1/3 stale breadcrumbs (i use wheat germ and oat bran)
1 Tbsp Rum or 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
90g Dark Chocolate
About 3 Tbsp water
Castor Sugar (to taste depending on chocolate)
1. Prepare a greased 23cm cake pan, or line the base with parchment paper. Cream the butter and the sugar till fluffy, then add all egg yolks slowly and beat well. Finally add extract. (I like doing it by hand. Good exercise esp the later part) ;)
2. Transfer the mixture from above to hazelnuts and breadcrumbs, then add grated chocolate and mix well.
3. Beat the egg whites till soft peaks form. (this is the part tht allows me to eat more.. :P)
Fold the beaten whites in 2 lots to the mixture, gently till well incorporated.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 Celcius for 50 minutes. Stand 5 minutes in pan before cooling on wire rack.
1. After cake has come to room temperature, add sugar and water in saucepan and bring to simmer.
2. Reduce heat and add reserved chocolates and bring to slight boil. ( You may want to bring it off the stove, lift with a spoon and pour back for a few times to test the thickness).
3. Slowly pour onto cake on wire rack and glaze top and sides well. Keep chilled in fridge.
*Flower is from orange skin, line are pastry cream.