Made my first batch of English Muffins this morning. Turned out better than anticipated.
Very nice! Tell us about your recipe, what you did, etc.
Thanks for the comment, mdvpc.
It was pretty easy, actually. I simply followed the KA recipe: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-english-muffins-recipe I halved the recipe, which made a baker's dozen. Used a coffee mug to cut them out.
Cooked them on a cast iron griddle. The griddle was rather small, so I could only do four at a time. I put a cake pan on top with a beer mug in it to keep them flat while cooking the first side. It's important that the griddle not be too hot so they have time to cook all the way through before browning.
The recipe calls for AP flour, but next time I'll use BF to make them a bit chewier.
Finally, I deviated a bit by retarding for two days.
Cook the first side for five minutes before flattening with the cake pan.
Thanks for giving us this information. I am going to try them.
. . . know how they turn out.
Timdbro, it sounds like your dough may be underworked, or perhaps you need to add a bit more flour as you are kneading. Step 2 in the KA recipe says:
"2) Mix and knead — by hand, electric mixer, or bread machine — to form a smooth dough. The dough should be soft and elastic, but not particularly sticky; add additional flour if necessary."
I don't recall having to add flour, but I don't remember for sure. Work your dough until the gluten is fully developed. I used the slap and fold technique. If it is still too sticky after that, then add a wee bit more flour.