The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

Kitchenaid with Extension cord/power strip?

  • Pin It
FreshGoose's picture
FreshGoose

Kitchenaid with Extension cord/power strip?

So I bought a KA mixer without knowing I couldn't use an extension cord/power strip.  My kitchens configuration forces me to use one.  There are zero outlets for the counter space, they are all off on the side of the wall about 5-6 ft away.  The only way to use the mixer is to use a power strip I have been using.  Has anybody had success?

Petek's picture
Petek

Since a recent kitchen remodeling, I've used my KA mixer multiple times running from an extension cord. It works fine, just as if it were plugged directly into an outlet. Does the use of an extension cord/power strip void the warranty, or is there some other reason not to use those techniques?

FreshGoose's picture
FreshGoose

They tell you not to in the manual.  They make it pretty clear that doing so puts you at risk for fire and things like that.

Petek's picture
Petek

I looked in the manual. You're right that it says not to use an extension cord. Not sure what else to say, except that I've had no problems.

barryvabeach's picture
barryvabeach

Freshgoose, one of 3 possibilities.  1 the manual has that as standard language, and no real application to the machine.  2.  The manufacturer is concerned that the draw of electricity is so high that a light duty extension cord would get too hot and cause a fire..  3.  Manufacturer is concerned that the motor needs a certain amount of juice to run properly, and a long or light duty cord will cause too much a power drop to allow the motor to run correctly.   No way to be sure which of the 3, but you can solve all by either making up a heavy duty extension cord - go for low gauge wire - 12 would be great, and short distance,  or buy a  heavy duty extension cord - usually they are marketed for air conditioners . If it can run an air conditioner, it will have no trouble with your mixer, and definitely won't overheat the cord.  

bob13's picture
bob13

I'm sure the manual was written with a lawyers consent.  Two issues, as barryvabeach pointed out.  Most common household extension cords are too small (in wire size) to deliver proper voltage/amps to your mixer.  A good hardware store can help  you select what you need to prevent overheating of the cord, or too low of power delivered to the mixer causing motor damage.  If no store around you, an electrician can make you one up for under $10.  No issue as long as you use the proper extension cord.