Tartine Starter Difficulties.
I know that this has been discussed before, however i am really anxious to get this working right. I dont seem to even nbe able to get my starter going and this is now my second attempt.
The first time i tried the starter:
* i mixed the initial blend per the book i mixed by feel to a thick batter conistency using my hands no measurements. (should i have used weight, i know stupid question)
* let it sit covered with kitchen thghowel for 2 days until it started smelling acidic and when tasted it had a sourish flavor (i took the book litteraly and tasted it)
* since it matched the described smell and taste started feeding by removing 80 percent by eyeballing it and fed 50/50 flower and water mixture (using whole rwheat/ap flour mix described in book)
* after feeding no rise happened nor was there any change in smell...24 hours passed fed it again.
* next day checked it wzs molded. end of first try. (later discovered mold came form mixture stuck along sides of container.)
2 days ago started 2nd attempt:
* this time i weighed the startting mixture 100g of flour and 100g wate