The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

Spring Sunflowers

ehanner's picture
ehanner

Spring Sunflowers

This is a sourdough loaf that I saw Sourdough-guy do last week. It looked so good I just had to try it. I used my "basic sourdough" formula and folded in the seeds at the end of the 48 hour bulk ferment. From the looks of sourdough-guy's compared I would say I could have put more seeds in although it seemed like a lot at the time. (very scientific approach here). The flavor is incredible and the toasted seeds are bumped up a notch from the baking. 450F for 30 minutes.

Thanks for the inspiration sourdough-guy, in the end I used a similar method of planning and it worked out pretty well.

Eric

Susan's picture
Susan

And I wish I had that end slice in front of me right now.  I love boules, you get four ends!!!
Susan

ehanner's picture
ehanner

Susan,

It did turn out well for my first try using sunflower seeds. I just couldn't force myself to put in the 50% by weight that sourdough-guy suggested but in the end I could have and will next time. My daughter is begging me to sell these things they are sooo good. Kids don't understand the concept of retirement very well.

I did try two baking methods. The one in the post was baked on a steel pan with a splash of water in the oven and I also did one "under glass". The under glass loaf didn't brown up quite as well for some reason. I left it under the bowl at 450 for 12 minutes and then another 18 with a probe plugged into it. When the temp hit 203 I benched it like the others and it's 2 shades less Carmel colored but still fine in every other respect. I went back to the original method for the last loaf and it was like the first in appearance. Any ideas why that happened? The french bread footballs colored up perfectly and rose like gangbusters, which is what I was hoping would happen here.

Thanks for your words of encouragement, I'm refreshed!

Eric

Susan's picture
Susan

It really is beautiful and yummy looking.  
Who'da thunk:  Here we are in a high desert/alpine climate and it's raining cats and dogs!
So far, I leave my loaves under glass until they start to turn brown, usually between 12 and 18 minutes.  I love all this trial and error; makes learning fun.
Susan

sourdough-guy's picture
sourdough-guy

 

Hi Eric,

: -) I told you it was a lot of seeds, I've made this a few times now and each time I chickened out of putting in all the seeds I weigh out. I way out the same amount of seeds as flour, almost so it's more like 95%. The other 5% is a nice treat to nibble on while it's baking. Did you roast the seeds?

 What was your hydration? I see you're crumb is less dense than mine. Mine was +65% I mixed the dough to 65 then added more water while it proofed. The roasted seeds must soak up more than you think. How good is it though? : -)

Sourdough-guy

ehanner's picture
ehanner

:0) I'm with you on being chicken to add the entire amount of seeds. Next time I promise I'll go for it. I started with a recipe for white SD that I use as my reliable "go to" bread I have saved as Jims Basic Bread that comes in at 65%. A little FF before retarding. I thought I was going to have to add a little water but after sitting in the refer for 48 hours it didn't feel like it needed it. I stretched the dough out on the counter after the bulk ferment and sprinkled on the seeds and gently folded them in and sort of envelope folded it together. Then I dropped the dough into the bowl with the seeds and started to coat the outside when I remembered I should try to create some tension on the outside. In the process of making a boule I roll the edges in around the bottom so I ended up with a very heavy collection of sf seeds in the center of the loaf.  I have a little surprise package of seeds in the center. Better planning next time would help. Actually, any planning would help :0)

I was able to buy unsalted, roasted seeds in a 1# bag. I still have about 40% remaining after making these 3 600g boules. I might toast them a bit next time but I did like the fact they were easy to eat as is and not so crisp. It did sustain a slash as you can see but I don't think I would do that again.

I happen to like sf seeds anyway and it was just dumb luck they made it home from the store unopened :>). You are right on this is a very wholesome tasting combination and it leaves me wondering how I can enhance the flavors even more? I keep thinking I like the seeds with salt but I don't know about using salted seeds, might wreck a good thing.

Thanks for your comments SDG, I really enjoyed this bread!

Eric