What's the worst loaf you have ever encountered?
I've baked some bricks in my time, but I think that the worst loaf I've ever come across was a recent purchase from a leading supermarket in the UK. Yes, I should have known better, but they do stock some fairly good artisan type breads in a specialist range, and this was supposedly a chili loaf (400 gr, white). It looked OK from the outside, so I thought I'd try it.
- The crust was hard not crisp
- The cooked part of the dough was tough (not well risen, poor crumb structure)
- There was a huge hole in the middle of the loaf
- This was surrounded by raw, sticky dough
- There was no chili in it that I could detect
So five faults in one inedible loaf.
The birds wouldn't eat it, a month later there are still untouched lumps of it on my bird feeder and they have not even gone mouldy, so just what was this thing made of?