Fudge-Almond Tart is missing something ??
So, I made this because the photo looked great. (photo did not copy over. You can find the photo here.)
IMHO it came out sweet, flat, bland with a strong taste of chocolate. Both my wife and I said "It is missing something" .
Any comments ??Upside-Down Fudge-Almond Tart
Decadent, rich, and intensely chocolaty, this recipe garnered our highest rating for flavor. It's a bit of a splurge, an indulgent way to cap off a Valentine's Day meal. Leftovers keep well in the fridge for up to five days.
Photo by: Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
- YIELD: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
- COURSE: Desserts
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons sifted Dutch process cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden cane syrup (such as Lyle's Golden Syrup)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Set oven rack to lowest third of oven.
2. Coat a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle almonds in pan.
3. Combine chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler. Cook over simmering water until chocolate melts, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; set aside.
4. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, Dutch process cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
5. Place eggs in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until thick and pale. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating at medium speed 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Add golden cane syrup and vanilla; beat on low speed 1 minute or until blended. Add chocolate mixture; beat 1 minute or until blended. Add flour mixture, and beat on low speed just until combined.
6. Pour batter over nuts into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake in lower third of oven at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool tart in pan 20 minutes on wire rack. Invert tart onto serving platter.Nutritional Information
- Amount per serving
- Calories: 281
- Fat: 19.8g
- Saturated fat: 7.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 5.9g
- Carbohydrate: 24.6g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 80mg
- Calcium: 45mg
Cooking Light JANUARY 2010