Now that's an ear!
It wasn't exactly what I intended . . .
I wanted to try to stencil with a young grape leaf, but I hadn't planned out how I was going to score around the grape leaf. So I did two "smiles" framing the grape leaf and this is the result. Not exactly the best scoring job of my amatuer "career"!
I didn't do the best job shaping this dough, either. It was ABin5 dough that sat in the bucket a full week, and it was pretty wet. I usually work a little harder on the shaping and use a little more flour to get a firmer "skin" than I did here. Then the boule would have held its shape better and not spread out during baking as unevenly as it did. I baked it in my clay baker.
Still, it was an impressive gringe, and the bread was tasty enough for a rye done with very little effort. My back is bothering me, so long sessions with the mixer or hand kneading are not an option right now.