The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

Lame in Europe

GG's picture

Lame in Europe

Hi, I am looking to buy a Lame, and found some online. But the blade on them all seems to extend horizontally out from the shaft. Like these ones: What I am after is one where the blade extends out from the shaft at a different angle (almost like an L or a hockey stick), so that I can keep the sharp end of the blade cutting the bread while holding my hand upwards. Hope everyone understand what I mean... If you know of a good online source in Europe, please point me in the right direction. Best, Nicolaj

dmsnyder's picture

Hi, GG.

I can't vouch for this vendor, but here's a link:

Meilleur du Chef (French cooking stuff)


Daisy_A's picture

Hi Nicolaj,

Is the lame on the link below what you are looking for? This type seems commonly to be called 'lame courbe' in French. When looking for lames I found this shape on a number of French sites but i'm not sure how many of them ship to the UK. 

I haven't been able to find anything similar in the UK yet. I use either a Khun Rikon tomato knife (very sharp) or a double sided Wilkinson Sword razor blade mounted on a holder.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Best wishes, Daisy_A

GG's picture

Hi Daisy_A and David, Thanks for your quick replies. Will have a look at them both. Best, Nicolaj