February 20, 2007 - 11:41am
Update on the update
I updated the site this morning. A few things to report.
The front page is not displaying correctly in IE 6. It works fine on IE7 and Firefox and Safari.Fixed TinyMCE, the WYSIWYG editor I had installed, did not want to work again. Currently it is disabled. I'll see if I can get it working again soon.Fixed that too.
The good news:
- The server is patched and happy and Drupal has been upgraded to 5.1.
- Some new modules have been installed:
- image assist - Try clicking the little camera icon next to the tree in the editor. That should allow you to upload an image and automatically include it in your post. The UI is a bit clunky, but I think it'll work for most people.
- voting - logged in site members can now vote on content. I'd like to change some of the sections like "favorites" to be based on content with the highest number of votes or highest rating. More and more, this site should be powered by the members not me.
- free tagging - Notice the next time you post that the keywords section is clear text. You can put any arbitrary meta-tag in there. So it is up to you how to organize the content. Once again, over time I'd like to move to having a tag cloud or some kind of way that users can easily browse the site by metatag.
- BBCode - BB code is the square-bracket based tags a lot of other forum packages support for tagging. People enter BBCode in here all the time and are frustrated when it doesn't work. Now it should let you do things like [b]bold[/b] and [i]italics[/i]. Part of me wonders whether TinyMCE is really the way to go or whether BBCode and raw HTML would be enough for most people. I don't know... Thoughts?