FINALLY made a 100% whole wheat bread that did everything right
I was beginning to get really discouraged working with whole wheat. I couldn't get it to grow right. I always ended up with a denser bread that it should be and/or it rose way to fast, but would overproof or if I tried to stop that, it would be too dense. So frustrating.
So, I tried the recipe for whole wheat challah from the newly revised "Amy's Bread". It didn't need any preferment and was 100% whole wheat. I used 100% white whole wheat flour as that's what I have, but it worked exactly as her timing said it should. Now, I did have to alter the recipe as not only did I have wet dough with her gram measurements, I had soup/batter. So, I added quite a bit of ww flour and a bit more yeast to make it a very soft/wet dough, but a dough. Seems I got it right.
It doubled properly, and did it again, and then did the final proof right and then got great oven spring. AND it's delicious and not heavy. We all liked it for breakfast this morning. I don't have a sliced shot, but here's how it looked. I tried to get a shot that showed how big it was. Not very successful, but it's about 1.5" taller than the coffee mug.