Italian Peasant Bread or Fast Focaccia
7/8 to 1 cup warm water or milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons yeast
Olive oil (to garnish)
Rosemary or any herb of your choice (to garnish)
Coarse Sea Salt (to garnish)
1. Place ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir, you want a soft sticky dough; add more water if needed. Cover.
2. Let rest 15 minutes, briefly knead in bowl, cover and place in a really warm place or an oven preheated to warm and turned off. Let rise for 30 - 40 minutes, until doubled.
3. Place a piece of parchment paper on the back of a baking sheet. Sprinkle with semolina or corn meal. Place dough on parchment and sprinkle liberally with olive oil.
4. Shape dough, into a rectangle, spreading thin, about an inch of thickness. Dimple the dough with your fingers and let rise for 20 - 30 minutes while the oven preheats.
5. Preheat oven to 425.F degrees.
6. Sprinkle dough with coarse sea salt and additional herbs
7. Bake at 425°F for 15-20 minutes until crust is deep golden and crispy.
8. Cool on a wire rack, slide out the parchment paper.
Have everyone tear their pieces of bread with their hands, and serve with olive oil flavored with fresh ground black pepper.
Tip: I bake mine on a pizza stone, just slide the parchment onto the stone and bake.
You can add different herbs, Parmesan, Mozzarella, sundried tomatoes, olives, you get the idea. Add cheese last 5 minutes of baking.
Total time 1 hour 30 minutes