Success with scoring!
I had a really great success in scoring the sourdough batards I made over the weekend, and wanted to share. They were made using the "experimental" sourdough baguette formula I concocted awhile back, although I screwed up in several places -- added salt to the liquid levain, and far too much water to the firm levain/pate fermente. I managed, though, adding more flour and omitting the salt from the firm levain. The dough was I think a little wetter than the 65% I intended, but everything worked out nicely nonetheless. The results were quite pretty, though the lighting in the picture doesn't do it justice:
I think the higher quality results were more to do with improved shaping than improved scoring per se. Since I switched over from the Hamelman-recommended "fold over the thumb" approach to the Back Home Bakery "roll and tuck" approach, I've been getting much better results from my batards and baguettes.
Taste, texture and crumb were also quite nice: