Steam - Gas vs. Electric Oven
Anyone have experience baking/steaming in both a gas and an electric oven?
I’ve always thought I had a harder time getting steam into my gas then people did with their electric ovens. So I took a good look at my gas oven and my Son’s electric oven and found quite a difference. Both ovens are older (maybe 10-20 years old) plain Jane consumer type ovens. Here’s what I found.
1. No bottom vent(s).
2. Has only one round top vent approximately 1 inch in diameter but it contains a perforated disk with maybe 1/8 inch holes in it. This results in a vent area of probably 0.5 sq inches or less.
3. There is a gasket around the door.
1. Two 1/2 x 10 inch bottom vents.
2. One top vent 3.75 inches square. This results in a vent area of 14 sq inches.
3. There is no gasket around the door plus there are little flat tabs that keep the door from sealing when closed.