When I reached for my banneton this morning I was in for a big surprise. The entire bottom of the banneton was covered in blue mold! Obviously, I decided to hold off on using it for now.
Has this happened to anyone else? I keep my banneton in a a plastic bag, but it isn't sealed like a ziploc. From what I'ver heard, it seems most people allow some flour to stay in the grooves of their bannetons. I leave some flour in the grooves, but not an excessive amount. I'm not sure what caused the mold. The only thing I can think of is that it should have been in a sealed bag.
I think I'll end up throwing out this banneton, but if anyone has a suggestion to save it I'd appreciate it. It's a round willow banneton, with no linen lining. How can I clean it? I'd also take any suggestions about why this happened and how to prevent it in the future.