Finally, it worked
I finally made two fairly successful loaves of sourdough bread from the 1849 Oregon Trail starter I've been nurturing for the past 2 months. I used KAF AP & White WW and got a nice rise, oven spring and two sort of nice looking batards. I really need to work on my shaping and scoring, it seems. I started the process Friday night by feeding "Clem" and letting him sit out until the next morning, then used an overnight pre-ferment Saturday and did the final kneading, stretch & fold and baking on Sunday. Edible, but needed a little more salt. I think I'm on my way, I almost quit after the "loaf of playdoh" I made the weekend before (which is also why I skimped on the salt - I was afraid). I'm learning lots from all of the postings here, I may just buy a scale and go the more scientific route - especially if will help with the salt problem!! Next experiment - "Henri", the starter I've made from a package of KA Lalavaine and bolstered with a little yeast, will get a chance to "prove his stuff"!!