The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

Finally, it worked

  • Pin It
Franchiello's picture
Franchiello

Finally, it worked

I finally made two fairly successful loaves of sourdough bread from the 1849 Oregon Trail starter I've been nurturing for the past 2 months.  I used KAF AP & White WW and got a nice rise, oven spring and two sort of nice looking batards.  I really need to work on my shaping and scoring, it seems.  I started the process Friday night by feeding "Clem" and letting him sit out until the next morning, then used an overnight pre-ferment Saturday and did the final kneading, stretch & fold and baking on Sunday.  Edible, but needed a little more salt.  I think I'm on my way, I almost quit after the "loaf of playdoh" I made the weekend before (which is also why I skimped on the salt - I was afraid).  I'm learning lots from all of the postings here, I may just buy a scale and go the more scientific route - especially if will help with the salt problem!!  Next experiment - "Henri", the starter I've made from a package of KA Lalavaine and bolstered with a little yeast, will get a chance to "prove his stuff"!!