AMISH SOFT PRETZELS
Yield: 5 large pretzels
Preheat Oven: 450 degrees F.
3/4 cup warm water (approximately 105-110 degrees)
1/2 tablespoon yeast
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 cup occident flour (bread flour) (add more if needed)
1/4 cup unsalted melted butter for dipping pretzels in after baking
1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water
DIPPING SOLUTION (use large saucepan):
1/4 cup baking soda
2 1/2 cups hot water
Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly brush with vegetable oil.
1. In a KitchenAid mixing bowl with dough hook attachment, mix warm water and sugar. Sprinkle yeast on top and let rest for 5 minutes.
2. While yeast is growing, prepare egg wash and baking pan. Set aside.
3. Add flour and mix well until dough pulls away from the sides of the pan and it retains a ball shape.
4. Let rise in warm place until doubled, at least 20-30 minutes.
5. On slightly oiled, clean work surface, divide dough and shape into long 'ropes' and shape into pretzels or other "class appropriate" shape.
6. Prepare dipping solution in large saucepan and turn stove to medium to keep solution hot. Put shaped dough into prepared dipping solution for 20-30 seconds.
7. Remove with a flat turner spatula and place on prepared cookie sheet. Re-shape if necessary.
8. Brush with egg wash & sprinkle with pretzel or sea salt (salt is optional).
9. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, over low heat, melt ¼ cup butter in small saucepan. Do not allow to boil or brown.
10. Dip face of pretzel into melted butter. Sprinkle with coarse salt or cinnamon sugar.