Update - First Ever Sourdough and It Failed - Update
Well, I almost sent my starter down the drain. After reading all the responses to my original post I decided to get it out of the refrigerator and work with it. I fed it twice a day for several days. Its whole character changed. I began to have what others were describing.
Early in the morning a couple of days ago I went back to the original recipe and began a double batch. Every step went better. My starter was very active. I did all my proofing at room temperature, 68 degrees. Finally at 9:30 PM the baking was started. The oven was at 500 degrees with steam for 10 minutes. Then I dropped the temperature to 450 degrees for another 20 minutes. The oven spring was considerable.
This time the bread came out better. The crust is chewy, the crumb is moist and tender, and the taste is great!
Thanks to everyone.