Like some teachers have their "pets", I have some favorite baking books that I always turn to when I'm looking for new recipes. These books have old envelopes, supermarket receipts, movie tickets, and other odd papers stuck between pages as markers, my own volume/weight conversions (or corrections), and lots of scribbled comments. And, they are also graded with stars, enthusiastic exclamation marks, or a scathing: "Not that great!"
Then there are The Others, bought or received as presents, that, for some reasons, never captured my attention, either because they have no attractive photos to inspire me, their design is too dull, their write-up too boring (yes, I am that shallow!), or I just forgot all about them. They end up in a dark corner of my bookshelf, forsaken and forlorn, probably hiding treasures that no one will ever know in the Anderson house - and NOBODY CARES!
This shameful negligence has to come to an end - these books are people, too! They, too, deserve a chance to be looked at, taken seriously, and, maybe, supply the next candidate for Karin's Bread Hall of Fame.
So my New Year's Resolution is this Equal Opportunity Pledge - fair treatment of all my baking books, every one shall have a chance, no more "pet baking", but equal opportunity for all those disadvantaged recipe collections, that never saw the light of my kitchen!
LIST OF EQUAL OPPORTUNITY BREADS (with links to the posts):
- Richard Ploner: Malzbrot - Tyrolean Rye Malt Rolls ("Brot aus Südtirol") DONE!
- Daniel Leader: French Walnut Bread - Pain au Levain Complet aux Noix ("LocalBreads") DONE!
- Saatenbrot - German Many Seed Bread ("Die besten Rezepte aus der Allgemeinen Bäckerzeitung") DONE!
- Jeffrey Hamelman: Country Bread ("Bread") DONE!
- Andrew Whitley: Arkatena Bread ("Bread Matters") DONE!
- Müslibrötchen - German Muesli Rolls ("Brot & Kleingebäck") DONE!
- Bill Middeke: Beer Rye Bread ("Baking with the St. Paul Bread Club") DONE!
- Bernd Armbrust: Camembert-Trauben-Brot - Camembert Grape Bread ("Brot") DONE! (But needs more work)
- Peter Reinhart: Croissants ("Artisan Bread Every Day")
- Fanny Gerson: Mexican Conchas ("My Sweet Mexico")
- Dan Lepard: Alehouse Rolls ("The Guardian")
- Bäckerei Hesse: Herzbube Walnuss - Knight of Hearts Walnut ("Brot - So backen unsere besten Bäcker")
- Jan Hedh: Cosa Nostra Bread ("Swedish Breads & Pastry")
- Bauernbrot - Farmers' Loaf ("Brotrezepte aus ländlichen Backstuben")
- Cornelia Zingerling: Mandel-Vollkorn-Brot ("Brot backen")
- Niels Schöner: Pain au Levain de Sarrasin ("Notes From a Floury German Kitchen")
- Vollkorntoastbrot mit Leinsamen - Whole Grain Toast Bread with Flaxseed ("Brot backen - Köstliche Rezepte aus der guten alten Zeit")
- E. and J. Wood: Cranberry-Nut Sourdough ("Classic Sourdoughs")
- Ayla Agar: Turkish Simit ("Classic Turkish Cooking") (this is a different version of Simit than the one I posted already).
- Ute-Marion Wilkesmann: Allerweltsbrötchen - Ordinary Rolls ("Brötchen statt Brot")
- Chad Robertson: Basic Country Bread with Sesame ("Tartine")
- Rose Levy Beranbaum: Golden Semolina Torpedo - Altamura ("The Bread Bible")
- Richard Bertinet: Breton Bread ("Crust")
- J. Alford and N. Duguid: Ethiopian Spice Bread ("Flatbreads & Flavors")
- R. Topp and A. Riffert: Heilkräuterbrot - Healing Herb Bread ("Vollkornbäckerei zu Hause")
- Martin Pöt Stoldt: Buttermilch-Weizenvollkorn-Kastenbrot - Buttermilk Wheat Sandwich Loaf ("Der Sauerteig - das unbekannte Wesen")
- Floyd Mann: Rustic Bread ("The Fresh Loaf Pocket Book of Bread")
So far, so good. There might be more.....
Malzbrot - Tyrolean Rye Malt Rolls - they went straight into my Bread Hall of Fame!