The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Misc.

Anything else that you want to post here that doesn't seem to have a home

Bakingbird's picture

Breadmaking workshops hurrah!

March 19, 2010 - 5:42am -- Bakingbird
Forums: 

Just wanted to share this link, hope it's not against the Forum's rules! A friend told me about this site (she knows I'm obsessed with food) and it lists great foodie things to do. And, they have breadmaking as a category!

Couldn't find any breadmaking classes in London (but they do feature cupcake classes!), unfortunately, which is what I really was looking for, but this workshop in Devon is now definitely on my to-do list.

flourgirl51's picture

baking sourdough without yeast?

March 15, 2010 - 3:20pm -- flourgirl51
Forums: 

I had a customer ask me if I could make sourdough bread without yeast as his daughter isn't supposed to have yeast. I don't make sourdough yet. I thought that I read somewhere on this site that you can do sourdough without yeast but does that mean that the bread would be yeast free as I thought that the starter picked up yeast from the air. Is it possible to make sourdough bread with no yeast?

clazar123's picture

Eek! 5# bleached flour snuck into my cupboard! Should I use it for bread?

March 14, 2010 - 8:54am -- clazar123
Forums: 

I generally buy unbleached Gold Medal or Pillsbury AP flour for general and some bread use. My main use of flour is for sourdough based bread every weekend and most of it is organic wheat berries I grind myself.I use very little AP flour in my breads and when I do it's usually unbleached and unbromated.I'm not sure where this bag of bleached,bromated Pillsbury came from tho I recall someone gave me some flour when she was moving.

bottleny's picture

2010 Masters of Boulangerie

March 12, 2010 - 11:16pm -- bottleny
Forums: 

Coupe du Monde de la Boulangerie

The result was announced on March 10:

• Pao-Chun WU, Master Baker in the BREAD category
  • Thomas PLANCHOT, Master Baker in the VIENNESE PASTRY category 
  • François BRANDT, Master Baker in the ARTISTIC PIECE category 

I'm from Taiwan, so I'm very proud of Mr. Wu's achievement, especially after knowing his background.

CandiceW's picture

Need some advise, please.

March 11, 2010 - 12:24pm -- CandiceW
Forums: 

Hey all,

So I was wondering how many of you are home bakers that sell their goods?

I've been REALLY thinking of doing this and need advise.

baking makes me happy, and now that I no longer work in a restaurant I find I miss it VERY much!

I would love to be able to bake for people still, and it would be nice to be making money at it!

Can you give me some pointers? How do you find customers? How much do you charge, % above materials cost?

How much of a variety of items do you sell?

Any other info would be AWESOME as well!

CandiceW's picture

soo bummed, did not turn out..*croissants*

March 7, 2010 - 4:22pm -- CandiceW
Forums: 

Hey all,

So I have never had issues with making croissants in the past, I have always used the same recipe.. and they always turned out.

Well now that I live in Canada I have been unable to find fresh yeast anywhere! I even resorted to calling local stores and bakeries to see if they would sell to me.. They all said no they can not sell me any.. :(

So I made croissants today and they turned out HORRIBLE!!  Again never had this problem and I'm at a loss! It just sucks!

jackie9999's picture

New content notification are old?

March 7, 2010 - 8:36am -- jackie9999
Forums: 

I look forward to the email from the site giving me a list of "new content notification".  I scan thru the topics and read the ones that tickle my fancy. Often there are links to old threads and I wondered if there is something I can change in my settings to eliminate these..to only show the recent posts?

If that's not clear, for instance, todays email (Mar 7, 2010) the first topic on the list was this post:

Carl Bergensis's picture

Couche or brotform of stiffer dough?

March 3, 2010 - 10:31am -- Carl Bergensis
Forums: 

I've made Daniel Leader's Dark Silesian Rye several times now and always enjoy the flavor. I didn't like the round though and baked it in a loaf pan, losing some of the crust and texture. I tried a free-standing batard-like shape, and it spread too much during proofing. I suspect a brotform would not be deep enough and the dough would slop over the top. Could it be that the dough is just too slack? (I should add that I use regular rye flower instead of the white rye.)

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Misc.