The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Misc.

Anything else that you want to post here that doesn't seem to have a home

bshuval's picture

Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets: bread

March 30, 2010 - 1:09am -- bshuval
Forums: 

In the UK there is a fantastic TV show called "Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets". It's a delightful program presented by the wonderfully enthusiastic Raymond Blanc. His passion with food is thoroughly addictive. In each of the series' eight episodes, Raymond Blanc concentrates on a topic and showcases several related recipes. Some are quite simple, some are exceedingly complex, and Raymond does them with such grace and ease it is a joy to watch. There's a genuine feeling of honesty throughout the series.

kumitedad's picture

Availability of Flour

March 28, 2010 - 1:53pm -- kumitedad
Forums: 

Wonder if anyone has had this experience yet.  Went into Safeway near my work for quick shopping, and could not find the bread flour.  Asked the clerks if they had moved it somewhere else, and they told me that the only bread flour they had were in those little boxed mixes for bread machines.  The only thing that worried me is that I remember not too long ago when Rye flour was to be had in all supermarket (out local Albertson's for one) now the only place I get it in bulk down here is Whole Foods.  Anyone else noticing this at their local supermarkets.

00Eve00's picture

Folding and bulk fermentation

March 24, 2010 - 1:10pm -- 00Eve00
Forums: 

I'm currently making Hamelman's Rustic Bread recipe that was posted on the site.  It calls for two folds during the 2.5 hour bulk fermentation at 50 minute intervals.  I am wondering if after the last fold, am I to be looking for the dough to double volume?  If so, is the dough supposed to be doubled in volume based on the original volume before I started the first fold, or the volume when I finished the last fold?  

I apologize if my question is very confusing.  

Thanks for your help.

Eve :)

Doughtagnan's picture

Bill Buford Baking on BBC TV

March 24, 2010 - 11:06am -- Doughtagnan
Forums: 

It's a good week for baking in the UK on BBC TV, last night the entertaining Bill Buford spent some time in Lyon learning alongside "Bob the baker", very interesting to see an experienced french baker handling the dough so gently and scoring the loaves expertly and tonight we have another programme on bread (BBC4 9PM). And last week The One Show had their food guy Jay Rayner handing round slices of sourdough that looked like Poilaine - baking - it's the new rock & roll!. Cheers, Steve

jocelyn's picture

Baking all the family's bread

March 22, 2010 - 7:17pm -- jocelyn
Forums: 

Hello,

One of my goal has always been of baking the entire family's (5 kids) portefolio of breads.  I am now pretty far from that, and generally speaking the kids are somewhat fussy about this, so we still buy a large proportion of commercial bread of various kinds.

This leads me to a few questions:

-Does anybody bakes all their family's bread?

-If so, how do you manage?  Is there a way to schedule things in such a way as to bake during a workday (I haven't found it...  The no-knead?)?

lagoldberg8397's picture

How Do You Define "Overnight"?

March 19, 2010 - 6:03am -- lagoldberg8397
Forums: 

Everyone's bread baking schedule is different and the dough certainly doesn't have a wristwatch so I'm not sure why cookbooks use the term "overnight" rather than giving a measurable timeframe.  When a recipe instructs you to rest the dough in the fridge "overnight" how long do you think it needs to be there?  I'm guessing 8 hours but would like to know what other folks think.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Misc.