The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Introductions and Ideas

Please introduce yourself and give us your feedback on the site!

director517's picture

Greetings from the Big Apple

December 9, 2008 - 1:49pm -- director517

Hi there, everyone.

Like others, it seems  that I have been lurking and soaking up info here for awhile without actually logging on, so I'm taking the plunge, partly out of desperation.

I'm having a real hard time getting a certain sourdough loaf going, and I'll post the details in the appropriate forum, with the hope that someone can shed some light on my problem.

Edthebread's picture

Hi from the frozen North

December 5, 2008 - 6:33am -- Edthebread

Hi everyone

I have been a lurker here for longer than I care to admit, and I thought I it was time to introduce myself.

I started out baking in the bread machine, and still use it to make our regular day-to-day loaves in the week.  I usually make 50% wholemeal, and I refined it so it turns out very nicely.  We usually slice and freeze it.  The only thing about it is that the kids don't like the crust so much as it's rather think when cooked in the machine.  When we use the same dough in the oven the crust is much nicer.

Bad Cook's picture

Hello!

December 2, 2008 - 11:56am -- Bad Cook

Hello everyone, I just joined here.  I am not a good cook, have never liked to cook, but suddenly in my middle age I find myself with this urge to learn to bake bread!  It all started when I read about No Knead Bread in a magazine.  It sounded like something I could actually do.  And my quest for information about that led me here.  I will have plenty of stupid questions, so please be patient with me!  :)

RigoJancsi's picture

Hello from RigoJancsi

December 1, 2008 - 6:14pm -- RigoJancsi

Hi,

I am a new member and I love this site. Lots of information and new stuff.

I am thinking of buying the Cuisinart 7 quart mixer. I am looking for a sturdy mixer that would knead 12-15 cups of dry flour successfully. I have a post on this topic in the baking equipment section. If you have used this mixer or know someone who has please share your experience kneading a large batch of dough.

ericb's picture

what was your first bread book?

November 24, 2008 - 11:44pm -- ericb

Insomnia is out of the ordinary for me, but here I sit this morning counting the hours until my alarm rings at 6 am. As I thumb through my various bread books in search of inspiration (or perhaps hoping to relive the inevitable, instant slumber experienced when opening nearly any book in my college years), I find myself drawn to my very first bread book, Bread Alone, by Dan Leader.

Strega's picture

Hello

November 21, 2008 - 1:54pm -- Strega

Hello from MA.
I'm new here and have been baking bread (and everything else) for my family and friends for over 30 years. Baking bread is a fun and fascinating process. There is always so much more to learn, new ingredients to try and methods & skills to improve upon. What other baking venue offers such artistic expression? Even if the results turn out to be less than expected...the local birds and squirrels benefit.

Anonymous baker's picture

Bread baking Dad

November 20, 2008 - 7:12am -- Anonymous baker (not verified)

Salutations,
Best Bread tips I've seen on-line.
(Just signed up.)

I'm a 47 year old Bread baking Dad. (3 young children, lovely wife.)

Can't form the proper words to tell you how helpful this site has been.
Unlike most other Bread baking sites this one is free of frustrations.
I very much appreciate that.
All the best,
Mark Wisecarver
Johnson City, TN

Magrat's picture

Hello From the great white north!

November 17, 2008 - 10:38pm -- Magrat

I am not so north that the whiteness is caused by snow, but it has been VERY foggy here the last couple weeks, so everything is in shades of white and grey, or at night, grey and darker grey.  heh heh

I am on the west coast of Canada, and I have been helping my mom bake since I was tall enough to see over the table.  Now that I have a family of my own, I will be teaching my children how to bake.  

qwiksilver's picture

Can A Single Person Eat All That Bread?

November 9, 2008 - 10:08pm -- qwiksilver

One thing that has held me back from making my own bread is being single.  I make a loaf and it goes bad before I can eat it all.  I'm hoping the basics I learn here can be either cut down or frozen so that I can make small loafs that don't go bad before I can eat them.

Any rules on freezing dough?  Before first rise?  After?  Shape loaf first? 

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Introductions and Ideas