The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Introductions and Ideas

Please introduce yourself and give us your feedback on the site!

gijane's picture

Howdy from California!

February 18, 2009 - 7:49pm -- gijane

Hi All,

I'm new here.  I feel very fortunate to be living in Sonoma County!  The original stomping grounds of Mr Peter Reinhart himself.  I have been "trying" to bake bread for the last 6 months or so.  I'm on a quest to learning how to make good bread.  On a consistant basis

I need some help tho.  If someone can point me to the "Trouble Shooting" section I will read, absorb and apply as much as I can.

isobel gildon's picture

ideas for the oven after the bread

February 17, 2009 - 8:41am -- isobel gildon

Hi everyone out there. I've been reading Fresh Loaf every day for a month and have just plucked up courage to introduce myself. I live in Suffolk, in England - very rural - and bake every week, mostly sourdough. A neighbour and I have just built an oudoor, wood-fired oven so we're having fun learning how to use it - in the snow! Any ideas for things to cook after the bread?

My only complaint about Fresh Loaf is that it's addictive - is there a sister site called Bakaholics Anonymous!

Isobel aka MamaVelvet

jimmykx250's picture

yeast

February 14, 2009 - 9:33am -- jimmykx250

I use instant dry yeast Block form you get at sams club. I keep the bulk in the freezer and keep about a half a cup in the fridge. This is what i use to make bread. I usually pull it and use it right away but fail to get a good oven spring. My dough usually doubles when in its first and second rise but never springs in the oven. I know i dont need to mix it with liquid like the other kinds of yeasts. I just throw this stuff in the flour and mix all ingredients together.HELP!!!

flournwater's picture

Greetings from California

February 12, 2009 - 10:30am -- flournwater

I am one of those who has been baking bread for a long time; failing to achieve my goal nearly every time.  I've read books on bread making that cover the full range from using a good processor (exclusively) to spoon bread ... seems I can't do anyting right.  My only success of any attempts I've made have been with Naan and no knead bread recipes.  But I won't give up and I'm hoping I can find the secret to how so many of you confidently work with water and flour and a few other ingredients to produce a wonderful loaf of bread.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Introductions and Ideas