The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Introductions and Ideas

Please introduce yourself and give us your feedback on the site!

Shutzie27's picture

Greetings! New baker alert!

July 30, 2010 - 9:23am -- Shutzie27

Hello Everyone!

I'm so glad to have found this site. I'm from Las Vegas, NV and recently moved to Phoenix, Arizona to attend law school, but was bitten by the bread baking bug last winter (though I made my own pizza dough before that) and it's become something of a congenial obsession perpetually lurking in the background of my life ever since. I look forward to exchanging recipies and ideas, although being an amateur I don't know that I'd have a lot to offer some of the more experienced bakers on this site.

foodslut's picture

Pina Colada Bread Questions

July 29, 2010 - 6:58am -- foodslut

Mods - if this isn't in the right spot, feel free to shift, with my apologies.

I'm toying with modifying Bertinet's formula for sweet dough ("Dough", page 136 - 51% hydration w/milk, with butter and eggs added for richness) to make a pina colada flavoured sweet bread.  So far, my mental concept has me exchanging some of the milk with pineapple juice, rum and coconut cream, and sprinkling coconut on top.

texalp's picture

Hello

July 28, 2010 - 10:01am -- texalp

This is my second post ;soo I'm an amature baker.  finally get a chance to try things that peak my interest.

This site is a great source of information and goodwill. Thanks for having me.

Bhutanbaker's picture

Hello from Bhutan & a question

July 26, 2010 - 1:19am -- Bhutanbaker

Hello

This is a wonderful website, and i've been trawling in search of flat breads that might work in a frying pan. I don't have an oven, grill, toaster oven etc and am not going to be able to acquire one up here in the Himalayan foothills. What I do have is a gas burner and a frying pan, and I can get instant yeast, baking powder and white or brown flour. Yoghurt / curd is not available and my attempts to make it end up in with curdled sour milk.

Can anyone suggest a flat bread recipe that might work with what's available? I do miss bread ....

Yassel's picture

My first post.

July 24, 2010 - 11:15am -- Yassel

Hello Bread bakers,

I am farely new to the bread world.  Got my BBA a while back and got some good results with the basic recipes.  I do alot of reading here in TFL and baking books.  I can make pretty good sandwhich loafs enriched ones but, handling and shaping french type breads is really frustrating.  I will post some upcoming home bakes to see what im doing wrong.  Here is a really kool video on Bobs bakery in france.

midwest baker's picture

Tim Hayward

July 22, 2010 - 10:35am -- midwest baker

Hello, I am a new member and I love this site! So much great information. I ran across these videos of Tim Hayward of the London Guardian and wanted to share the links.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/video/2010/jul/20/how-to-cook-bread

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/video/2010/feb/17/how-to-make-perfect-pizza

scai725's picture

Greetings

July 21, 2010 - 6:06am -- scai725

Hello eveyone,

I am new to this blog, but have been reading for quite sometimes now. I am new to bread making and quite fascinated by the art, science, and cutural significance behind the subject; and, personally enjoy learning the process of how things work and made (not to mention try my hands on if possible).

And of course as a person who likes to eat, I would love to learn about the process even more.

I am looking forward to gain more knowledge from everybody.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

SC

thegrindre's picture

Newbie from Arkansas, Howdee

July 18, 2010 - 12:51pm -- thegrindre

Being a transplant from Los Angeles, CA, I'm now an Arkie. Sheesh! Did I say that?

I have a younger brother living here and thought I'd spend a little time with him, so to speak. Being retired, as of this past January, I now have all the time in the world on my hands to visit and to COOK.

No more getting up at 6 am to get ready for work by 8 or having to go to bed at 10 pm to get up at 6. I now go to bed and get up when I want to! (I love retirement...)

Anonymous baker's picture

Grillin'

July 16, 2010 - 11:57am -- Anonymous baker (not verified)

Hi everybody,

Last night I was browsing through a few methods for bread on the grill, which I would love to attempt- we cook most of our meals (except for bread) on the grill. I was struck by an "awesome" idea while reading forum posts. What about a pie on the grill, cake? Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions? If I put a large dutch oven on the grill would it mimic the effect of being in a regular oven? Also what about baking in a loaf pan on the grill? Suggestions?? I'd really like to try this.

John

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Introductions and Ideas