The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

jaxler12's picture

First attempt with Spelt

March 6, 2015 - 12:29pm -- jaxler12

So after reading so many rave reviews about breads using Spelt I decided it was time to give the ancient flour a shot. Since this was my first attempt and I'm kind of a wimp I decided to go with 75% spelt instead of 100%. The rest of the formula is as follows.

Formula:

King Arthurs Spelt Flour: 300g

King Arthurs unbleached AP Flour: 100g

Filtered Water: 280g

Salt: 8-9g

Starter: 60g 

Schedule:

kalikan's picture

Yet another beginner baker question - is my starter ready?

March 5, 2015 - 7:00am -- kalikan

Hello,

I've started on my starter last week, following instructions on the KA website. I'm on Day 6 right now and by the time it is time to feed it, it is full of bubbles and has a nice aroma (not sour). However it does not rise at all. I'm a bit confused if starter is now ready or if I should continue 2x daily feedings...

Sarah LuAnn's picture

Starter acts healthy, but smells vinegar-y

March 3, 2015 - 8:26am -- Sarah LuAnn

This is sort of a non-problem, because even after my starter started smelling like vinegar, I've fed it and used it and made delicious bread with a nice texture. The reason I'm concerned is, it didn't smell like vinegar before, and its not going away even after a few feedings. It's bubbling up nicely, but smells vinegary.

It started when I accidentally underfed it over a week ago. (Maybe two weeks now... I should be better at keeping track.)

After a few feedings it looks and acts like it did before, but the smell remains.

novicebaker31's picture

I want to thank you all

March 3, 2015 - 7:14am -- novicebaker31

Hi Everyone! This is the first time I am posting, but I've been reading the forums and articles on this site for a while now.

I've got a beautiful starter going, and my sourdough has been coming out better and better with each try. There were a bunch of times I wanted to throw my hands up and say forget it, but reading all of your posts motivated me to keep trying!

I still have so much to learn, and I'm glad I have this site to guide me along. So THANK YOU to all of you!

sakullak's picture

are my starters ready, rye starters get the stage of rising and falling.

March 3, 2015 - 2:30am -- sakullak

Hi All,

I'm from Thailand, my English isn't good , maybe confuse you guys (someone said I had broken English), but hope you can understand.

I started whole wheat starter last Wed (24/2) and rye starter on last Thu (25/2).

I fed them regularly until it could rise and double.  Then I gradually switched to white flour, until it reached 100% white flour.  

Now, the rye starters on 3rd and 4th containers can rise, double to peak, and fall back.  This morning, I tested dropping them in water, only 4th container can float.

sdalex's picture

Slow starter help

March 3, 2015 - 12:27am -- sdalex

Hi!

I'm new to bread making in general, and new to the forum which has been very helpful so far – so thank you for that! I'm having what I think are some problems with my starter and though there are similar topics to this on the site, I couldn't find an explanation for my situation so I thought I would post here.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters