The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

jackiex's picture

Favorite bread for weekday breakfast or lunch?

May 2, 2015 - 1:34pm -- jackiex

There are so many recipes I'm tempted to try, but I can only finish one or two breads per week since I don't know who I can share these breads with yet... Most of my friends would love cake or other pastries, but probably not bread without sugar or butter. So my question is, do you have a favorite bread recipe, especially with sourdough starter and the three simple ingredients (flour, salt and water), using which the bread may last for a few days?

Dave's picture

Back to basics. A 100% hydration starter?? What does it mean?

April 29, 2015 - 8:27pm -- Dave

Hello everybody. So funny how sometimes you just need clarity on some of those first lessons that your learn, especially about starters. So here is my question:

Is maintaining a 100% hydration starting a 1/1/1 ratio. Being equal parts starter/flour/water?

So if I have 100g of starter I should feed it 100g flour and 100g water?

Or if I have 100g of starter, should I feed it 50g flour and 50g water, equaling the 100g of starter and taking into account the amount of flour and water that already exists in the starter. Being 50g flour and 50g water.

sallam's picture

At what dough volume increase do you proceed?

April 29, 2015 - 7:09pm -- sallam

Greetings

I've read that when fermenting, a 50% increase in volume is optimal for oven rise than waiting until the dough doubles or triples. I tried it today, and was surprised that the oven rise was huge, much better than when I let the dough doubles or triples in volume.

Did anyone notice this? do you proceed when your dough reaches 50%, doubles or triples?

nunodesousa's picture

Ratios and Liquids question on starting sourdough

April 28, 2015 - 6:50am -- nunodesousa

Hi!

I've been reading a lot and i'm getting confused...

I'd like to start a fresh starter and I have the following doubts:

1) Is there a big difference between using water and pineapple juice?

2) I've seen methods using 1:1 ratio on flour and water, 2:1, and 3:1... Although the most frequent is 1:1. Is there "a best one"?

3) I've seen people measuring 1cup flour / 1 cup water... and X grams flour / X grams water... Since 1 cup water weights different from flour, which method is recommended?

Thank you in advance!

reedlaw's picture

Ken Forkish's levain vs Peter Reinhart's mother starter

April 28, 2015 - 3:24am -- reedlaw

I've just made a mother starter based on Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads book. It's a 100% whole wheat starter. His instructions are to leave it in the fridge as soon as it's done and it will be ready to use for up to 3 days. Forkish's book, Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast, on the other hand, says the levain should be fed every day. Reinhart suggests refreshing it when it gets low--between 4 days and 2 weeks old. Then it can be used as a seed culture to form a new mother starter.

sallam's picture

When to stretch and fold

April 27, 2015 - 7:32am -- sallam

Greetings

I use my sourdough starter to bake sandwich bread every other day. I first refresh the starter and build the quantity I need at the same time, then mix the final dough and bulk ferment for 3 hours, during which I stretch and fold every 30 minutes. Then retard in the fridge for 24h.

My question is: should I stretch and fold before the 24h retarding in the fridge, or the other way round, retarding first, then stretch and fold while fermenting in room temperature? My aim is to get a huge oven rise, and develop deep flavor.

sallam's picture

room temperature vs cold fermentation

April 26, 2015 - 3:51pm -- sallam

Greetings

In no-knead sourdough bread recipes, some call for 24h or more of cold fermentation, while others call for slow 12-18h fermenting in room temperature. I'm interested in a comparison between both methods, and how it affects flavor and texture of the bread. Please share your experience.

I also find that, in the case of cold fermentation, some recipes call for bulk fermentation, while others call for shaping the loafs in pans before putting them in the fridge. Is there a difference between bread made with each of those methods?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters