The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

Sarah LuAnn's picture

sour vs. sweet starters

June 23, 2015 - 6:03pm -- Sarah LuAnn

I've been using my sourdough starter for a few months and have been very happy with it. I enjoy the sour taste a lot. My husband, however, likes his bread sweet. Over the months I've experimented with my starter and recipes to see if I could get a sweeter loaf, and while I did have loaves that were less sour, the sourness was still definitely there.

FrugalBaker's picture

What is wrong with my SD?

June 16, 2015 - 2:55am -- FrugalBaker

Today, I had some trouble getting the dough out of my brotform as it was sticking too much. This is actually a Norwich Sourdough recipe but I increased the hydration to say...72 or more? I had been tweaking the hydration for quite a while now without any problem until now...could not shape the dough after the final session of stretch and fold. The bread turned out flat!

Appreciate if someone could tell what went wrong. Perhaps not enough of surface tension or simply too wet?

Thanks and regards,

FrugalBaker

Sebastos156's picture

Sourdough bread tasted cheesy :S

June 15, 2015 - 5:14pm -- Sebastos156

Is that normal? Is it desirable to anyone? The bread was sour and had a bit of a fancy cheese taste which I found very unpleasant. the taste was the same as that of a loaf I'd bought a long time ago in which it was much stronger and kinda grossed me out. However, I've had some mild sourdough that had a delicious tangy and somewhat sour flavor that made it delicious on its own, without anything added to it, and that sourdough had no cheesiness, and that's exactly what I want. Here's the background:

Emerogork's picture

Starter VS Sourdough Starter?

June 3, 2015 - 8:46am -- Emerogork

The title of this forum seems to answer my question but it is not what I am finding in the other world.

95% of all internet hits all mention sourdough starters.  When I use -sourdough, all I get is an Amish recipe for a starter and it is repeated in dozens of sites.

Is there a difference between a starter and a sourdough starter?
If so, what?

mkrott1's picture

abenw11

May 31, 2015 - 3:47pm -- mkrott1

Here it is, pure perfection!  Crunchy on the outside, soft, chewy and oh so flavorfull on the inside!  Thank you so very much for your help!  I will be trying the #2 build also to see what difference there will be between the two.  I feel like I have finally suceeded!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters