The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

jimt's picture

looking for a more sour SD recipe

November 17, 2016 - 10:50pm -- jimt

Hello folks!

While I understand there are ways to make SD more sour (lower hydration starter, extended bulk or proof, others?) I'm looking for a more sour SD recipe. Today I tried the Norwich More SD and while it is quite delicious, it doesn't quite hit the sour I'm looking for. Any base recipes that are more sour to start? Would a SF SD recipe be more sour? I believe the Norwich more sour is based on a Hamelman recipe and I have Bread, just looking for something more along those lines. Edit to add that I used a rye starter and then white/wheat flour to build.

StonehengeTimmers's picture

Eric Kayser Starter

November 16, 2016 - 6:45am -- StonehengeTimmers

Hi from Stonehenge in the UK

Just joined up as the breadmaking is becoming serious. Well you know what I mean. I bought the Larousse book of Bread at the weekend and decided I would make the starter. Followed the instructions but after day 1 the starter has developed a crust but it is moist underneath. Ok to carry on with this or should I start again. I have mixed it into day 2 addition anyway and will keep an eye on it but wondering if this is normal? Room temp was about 16 - 23 deg over day and  night. In a bowl and covered with a cloth.

cheers

Bread Bug's picture

Chad Robertson's starter/dough colour

November 16, 2016 - 3:22am -- Bread Bug

So I’ve been baking for a few months now and thought it’s time to join the forum. Its been a great source of help so far.

At the moment I’m trying to nail Chad Robertson’s Country Loaf before moving on to more adventurous things but I had one question. Chad says to use 50/50 bread and whole wheat flour in the starter and the dough also calls for a proportion of whole wheat as well. This leaves my starter and loaves a kind of sandy colour, with flecks of whole wheat visible.

gong's picture

Correlation between bulk fermantation time and proofing?

November 16, 2016 - 3:11am -- gong

Hello there,

I have calculated my times according to my schedule. So I use 10-15% starter, kneed in the afternoon and bulk ferment over night (around 19-20oC in my kitchen). In the morning I shape and put my dough in bannetons. My point is to bake after 8-9 hours (basically after work), so I proof in the fridge.

So is there a correlation between BF hours and proofing hours? Could I for example BF for 12 hours and proof for 15-16 hours in the fridge? And what if I want to expand BF time? I could use less % starter or BF in the fridge. Do I also change proofing time?

cristoir's picture

Need a help with starter

November 15, 2016 - 9:03am -- cristoir

hey guys,

glad I found this forum, plenty of good info.

maybe someone can help me, I made starter like this before and it worked like charm after 6-7 days.

now I tried it again and it wont work for me...

so I used 25g of (strong) bread flour & 25g of wholegrain flour & 50g water.

i fed it for about 10 days and then feeding it once in 2-3 anytime it stops bubbling. 

So the thing is, it won't float on top of water anytime I try to see if it's ready, goes straight to the bottom.

lissybell's picture

Slack dough for sourdough bread

November 14, 2016 - 11:40am -- lissybell

Hi,

So I baked some sourdough this weekend with my starter. The dough was very slack and did not really hold its shape during bulk fermantation and got kind of out of control. I did a shorter rise on the kichen counter. The bread turned out pretty good, although it just didn't taste very sour. A work in progress. I did make pancakes with my discard and they were wonderful!

KayDee1's picture

Talk to me about water, please?

November 14, 2016 - 8:06am -- KayDee1

I've read (and read, and read, and read) any number of things about the quality of the water used in the starter and in the bread itself.

Do NOT use tap water if it has chlorine. Is this true? I read that you can use it, if you leave it overnight on the counter to dissipate. 

Use filtered water. I have filtered water from my refrigerator, but not on my faucet. Is that sufficient?

Use bottled water. Cost prohibitive, although when making pizza dough, I do use a specific type of bottled water. 

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters