The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Sourdough and Starters

Capturing the wild yeasts.

leslieruf's picture

Is this normal

February 10, 2017 - 11:45am -- leslieruf

or is Rosie contaminated? I have just made a Yeast water dough with my raspberry YW Rosie.  It is a bit scummy on the top and on the glass sides, smells good, isn't murky but I wonder if this is the way it goes as it matures? The poolish I made is bubbly and smells good too so I went ahead with the dough, but I wonder. here is a side view.

Any tips, guidance appreciated

Leslie

thesnappydresser's picture

My Day 8 Sourdough Starter - Toss it or continue feeding it?

February 9, 2017 - 7:37am -- thesnappydresser

Hello there! I'm a lurker at this site and today I take the step to join this forum as I'm stumped.. Need some opinions!

Today is Day 8 of my Sourdough starter. This is the most successful batch I've attempted by far. I started out with 2 tablespoons of water kefir, 1/4 cup of AP flour and 1/4 cup of water, then subsequently fed it every 12 hours minus the water kefir.

ztwatson's picture

Shaping Loaf just before Baking - Poor/Dense Crumb?

February 9, 2017 - 7:27am -- ztwatson

The past two loafs I have made have had rather dense crumb (very small pores/holes). I wonder if this was due to shaping the loaf right before baking? I've baked 3 or 4 loafs and this didn't happen with my first two. My starter is one month old. I typically use almost all of the starter (probably have 10-20 grams leftover to start new amount). I bake once a week. 

My baking process is as follows...

Recipe...

450 g white flour

50 g whole flour

100 g starter 

12 g salt

375 g water

Process...

Megs233's picture

Sourdough starter confusion!

February 8, 2017 - 2:28pm -- Megs233

Hello I'm very new to sourdough but very keen to succeed. I am in the process of making my own starter but am confusing myself by reading too many differing articles and recipes. I'm on day 2 of the process and have just added my first batch of additional flour and water. I'm just confused about what to do from here on in. 

Some say to toss out half of the original from now on. Some don't mention throwing any out until later on. Some say it's essential to throw out to assist in the yeast development. In which case why do some not mention throwing any out at all?

PatMax's picture

Wild Yeast , a problematic name

February 8, 2017 - 12:54pm -- PatMax

It seems to me ,  that the  use of the  term 'wild yeast'  to describe the yeasts and enzymes  native to the cereal grains is  confusing the issue  rather than clarifying it .

Not so long ago , the general consensus seemed to be that wild untamed yeast spore of every stripe were floating about in the air above , waiting for a flour and water batter to settle in and colonize . Then followed a battle royal as the various strains fought for supremacy , foul smells flying everywhere  until one species was victorious , and peaceful fermentation  broke out.

juanitopablito's picture

Sourdough sandwich bread

February 7, 2017 - 7:39am -- juanitopablito

New day, new experiment. 95% hydration dough was a b to work with. By the time I transfered the "shaped" blob to the pan, I had pretty much given up on doing it right. Happy AND surprised with the results, tho. Crust a bit thicker than I would have liked on a sandwich bread. Better steam technique could have helped? Also not much extra rise possibly because I suck at scoring properly.

Vtg79's picture

Did I kill the yeast in my starter

February 6, 2017 - 6:37am -- Vtg79

Starting a separate thread as I can't post pictures in the previous thread.

Now I maintain my starter in the refrigerator feeding it once a week but skipped last week so heres my starter (93% hydration) as of today after being removed from the refrigerator and fed 18 hours back as follows:

Starter - 10g

Flour (White + wwf) - 10g

Water - 10g

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Sourdough and Starters