The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

Matt H's picture

Last week's bread baking contest in SF

February 6, 2010 - 11:15am -- Matt H
Forums: 

Found out about this too late: Yeast Affliction! All-Out Artisan Bread Bakedown & Craft Beer Tastiness took place last weekend. Any Fresh Loafers involved? Worth looking at some of the photos and checking out the team names... http://sffoodwars.com/

People's Choice: Team #11 / Fire in the Fornix! / The Hurricane

People's Choice Honorable Mention: Team #14 / Dark Horse Breads / Pear Walnut Bread

Photog's Choice: Team #9 / The Fancy Boyz / Pain a l'Ancienne

RiverWalker's picture

Water, Flour, Techniques, and Humidity

February 3, 2010 - 10:42pm -- RiverWalker
Forums: 

How much can a dry atmosphere effect flour hydration, normally?  Our apartment is seemingly very dry, chronically dry.

I don't mean just dry. I mean that fruit doesn't even ROT in our apartment. it dries out.  an orange once fell behind a desk and was forgotten, and it didn't smell bad, or get moldy, it dehydrated. months later we found a slightly smaller, slightly darker(but still discernably orange-colored) and was substantially lighter weight, and had the texture of styrofoam.

hutchndi's picture

Hydration, recipes, aging eyeballs

February 3, 2010 - 2:50pm -- hutchndi
Forums: 

I was making the whole wheat levain recipe in Jeffery Hamelman's Bread book this last weekend which I haven't made in a while, and the dough seemed wetter than I remembered it. I had a chance to re-open the book today and noticed what happened. For some reason I misread a measure in the final dough step. Where it says 1 lb, 1.3 oz water, for some strange reason I thought it said 1 lb, 8 oz water. As Homer Simpson says,

DOH!

anybody know what that mistake resulted in hydration?

Russ

Karmel_Kuisine's picture

Bread baking growing pains and other questions

January 31, 2010 - 10:04am -- Karmel_Kuisine
Forums: 

I am still in the beginning stages of learning to bake bread. I've been at it since October when I got my KitchenAid mixer as a birthday gift. I do all my kneading in the KitchenAid.

I've been trying to perfect the sandwich loaf before moving onto crusty breads. I have little kids and they like a softer loaf. Most of the loaves I've been successful with have incorporated oatmeal in them.

My least successful loaves have been fine at the heels, but crumbling and unsliceable in the middle.

Tom Krein's picture

First Ciabatta

January 31, 2010 - 8:41am -- Tom Krein
Forums: 

I'm like most people, I LOVE homemade bread straight out of the oven with real butter. I like it with apple butter, or jelly. I like it plain... Its just so good and the smell is the best part.

I have been facinated with bread making and artisian, rustic types of bread for a good long time. I think I have 15 or more bread books. It fascinates me!

Last week I finally decided to try and make some rustic bread... I mixed up a poolish on Thursday. Yesterday I made bread!

vincenttalleu's picture

100% hydrated bread

January 30, 2010 - 12:16pm -- vincenttalleu
Forums: 

Hi all, I just wanted to bring up the subject of baking bread in a tin with a 1 to 1 ratio flour/water

I don't know if it's been discussed already but I think it's something really cool.

I started making it because I broke my shoulder and wanted to make super simple bread, I'd just mix the dough with beater for 2mn, then leave it overnight.

In the morning I poor the mixture in a greased tin (or tin with baking paper), and bake it as soon as the oven's hot (40mn)

Here's the result:

fthec's picture

San Joaquin formula question for Dave

January 29, 2010 - 8:00am -- fthec
Forums: 

Hi Dave,

I prepared my own version of your San Joaquin sourdough formula this morning but I am confused about the salt content in the formula.  Do you salt your starter?

Ingredients              Weight       Baker's Percentage

Firm starter              150 gms     30.00%

KAF AP flour             450 gms     90.00%

BRM Dark Rye flour     50 gms     10.00%

Water                     360 gms      72.00%

hilo_kawika's picture

Current flour prices

January 28, 2010 - 6:19pm -- hilo_kawika
Forums: 

Hi,

Those of us in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii think we're pretty much at the end of the road as far as purchasing things is concerned.  So I'm just curious as to what typical flour prices are for, for example Gold Medal unbleached white, whole wheat and "Just For Bread"?  I just bought some of all three on an in-store special for $3.50/5 lbs which is pretty cheap for here.

aloha,

Dave Hurd, Hilo, Hawaii

fthec's picture

Bouabsa baguette- Dave's version; first attempt

January 28, 2010 - 9:38am -- fthec
Forums: 

I've been itching to try Anis Bouabsa's baguette formula for awhile now but have been far too busy to do much baking.  I think it's time I change my priorities!!  I settled on Dave Snyder's modified version (using starter) and decided to double the recipe.  In hindsight, I should have tried only 50% increase--  4 will not fit on a home stone properly (even my Fibrament).  I think 310-340g (11-12oz) would work well for a 20" baguette.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General