The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

sam's picture

My attempt of Vermont Sourdough

March 2, 2011 - 11:55pm -- sam
Forums: 

Hello,

First -- wanted to say this is a wonderful place!  I have spent much time searching and reading the archives.  Great community!

I am still a newbie but here was my recent attempt at Hamelman's "Vermont Sourdough".  I began my sourdough starter two weeks ago, and feed it twice a day at 125% hydration.  (I began the culture with fresh milled rye and so far maintaining with KAF AP flour).

EmelineS's picture

Novice baguette results

March 2, 2011 - 10:22pm -- EmelineS
Forums: 

Hello Experts,

I'm a novice baguette maker and I am easily overwhelmed by all of the information on this forum about making baguettes.  So I picked one recipe and gave it a go.  I tried using the "Basic Baguette Formula" ( link below), and got mixed results. 

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/9104/baguette-baguette-and-more-baguette

The flavor and texture of the crumb was good enough, but the crust was not flakey or crunchy.  Suggestions?

Caltrain's picture

Lean vs. "All-in" pre-ferments?

March 2, 2011 - 7:26pm -- Caltrain
Forums: 

Lately, for enriched breads I've been somewhat lazy by mixing in everything (sweeteners, oils, etc.) into my pre-ferments, reserving only some yeast and flour for the final mix. I've found this simplifies the process, and, more importantly, seems to improve the taste. If I had to sell it, I'd explain that the ingredients had time to incorporate overnight - there's more of an uniform taste with more subtle notes as opposed to something that tastes explicitly flavored.

Dwayne's picture

Bread Baker's Apprentice (BBA) Recipe Recommendations

March 1, 2011 - 5:05am -- Dwayne
Forums: 

I've owned this book for a while now, thanks to my daughter, and I've baked maybe a quater of the recipies.  I have a list that I keep of breads that I want to bake from it.  After seeing GSnyde's post on "Vienna Bread with Dutch Crunch" that bread has now gone to #1 on my list.  Thanks GSnyder.

That got me thinking what are the favorite breads from this book for other people?  There are a lot of breads that I am not familiar with.

gringogigante's picture

Is there a healthy preservative that I can add to my bread?

February 28, 2011 - 8:52pm -- gringogigante
Forums: 

I'm small time, to be sure. I bake white and wheat loaves weekly for my family, and the occasional fun loaf (Anadama bread, artisan loaves, etc).

But, I'm a little tired of them drying out so quickly. They rarely last a week. The first 3 days worth of bread are great....the last 2 or 3 are more dry. After that, almost useless.

I guess I'm at the next level of baking because I can't bake more often due to time constraints, and i need them to last just a few days longer.

EmelineS's picture

Rancid Tasting Brioche

February 24, 2011 - 4:14pm -- EmelineS
Forums: 

I'm a beginner baker.  I tried making brioche for the first time and it came out super light and airy (perhaps too much so) but it tasted overly tangy almost rancid.  It smelled like a brewery.  The final proof looked okay,   What did I do wrong?  I assume it had something to do with the yeast. 

Wek's picture

How to make soft all around (chinese) buns?

February 23, 2011 - 6:41pm -- Wek
Forums: 

I'm interested in making buns like those sold in chinese bakeries. They are soft all around, no crust and have a sticky glaze (not really sweet). I haven't been able to find a recipe for these type of breads that aren't sweet.

Basically what I'm looking to make is a bread that is soft and chewy but not sweet. Does anyone know if this is possible? Here's  an example of a chinese bun found on wikipedia.

Thanks

chromite's picture

Dough begins to break down!

February 22, 2011 - 5:25pm -- chromite
Forums: 

Ok, I've been making bread several months and have not encountered this until I've become overly ambitious. I have a problem that started folding some dough that I stashed in the fridge for several hours, now with dough I'm kneading on the first go. It seems to begin to break down?! It goes from being elastic and having surface tension, to being a very slack, non elastic, stringy, taffy-like substance. What have I done?!

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General