The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Any type of bread that doesn't fall into the other buckets: herb breads, sandwich breads, fruit and nut breads, anything else you enjoy.

ppschaffer's picture

Avoid wheat? Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD

November 9, 2011 - 1:38pm -- ppschaffer
Forums: 

Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD, published this year strongly condemns modern wheats: Dr Davis writes that wheats have been so extensively hybridized and genetically modified that they no longer remotely resembles ancient (healthful) wheats. Therefore, he says, avoid modern wheats, organic or not, like the plague...  I'm not a food scientist but, frankly, I am surprised by his assertions.  Any comments by food scientists or other knowledgeable individuals?

foodslut's picture

Overnight 80% hydration focaccia a success

November 4, 2011 - 3:53am -- foodslut
Forums: 

A friend of mine showed me how to make 80% hydration ciabatta bread, using folds instead of kneading, saying it could also be used to make a mean focaccia or pizza dough.

Since he gets all day to do his baking, and I'm still working days, I wanted to try an "overnight" version - make the dough one evening, ferment overnight in the fridge, then shape/proof/bake the next evening.  The long fermentation meant I had to cut the yeast quite a bit.

Here's the formula I tried:

Bread flour  50

Whole wheat flour  50

Water  80

Salt  2

BostonMaria's picture

How to put oats/seeds on crust

November 3, 2011 - 8:58am -- BostonMaria
Forums: 

Hi everyone:

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but here goes...

I like the way oats and seeds look on the tops of the bread. The recipe I have calls for a small amount of honey to brush on top after baking, but I find that it makes the bread too sweet. I've tried brushing with melted butter (I think after baking, but maybe I did it before? Can't remember) and the oats/seeds flake right off. Any better way to put them on there for the look and texture?

thanks,

maria

dwcoleman's picture

Making High Gluten flour from Bread Flour

November 2, 2011 - 8:21pm -- dwcoleman
Forums: 

It's been bothering me that I can't purchase high gluten flour easily for bagels/pizza dough.

Below are the amounts of vital wheat gluten that are required to create a high gluten flour from both KA Bread flour, and KA AP flour.

** Vital wheat gluten is about 75% protein roughly. **

Bread flour = 12.7% protein x 1000g = 127g protein, we need to add 15g of protein to hit 14.2%, so we use 20g of vital wheat gluten.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General