The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

bobku's picture

Broiled bagels

October 26, 2009 - 12:07pm -- bobku

Has anyone tried putting bagels in broiler for crispyer crust . I have seen 2 recipes that called for placing in broiler. One called for placing in broilier for 1-2 minutes each side before you boil them in water. The other said to broil for a minute or 2 right before baking then continue to bake .Has anyone tried something like this

summerbaker's picture

Half White Wheat Sourdough Loaves

October 26, 2009 - 9:12am -- summerbaker

Fall has finally reached Tallahassee and I have been having a good time experimenting with longer sourdough rising times.  Last winter was my first cold season as a sourdough bread baker and I had a lot of ups and downs (literal "ups and downs" when it came to dough rising!).  This year I feel a little more in control of my starter now that I know how to manage the feeding schedule so that it suits both my lifestyle and that of the creatures in my starter.  Of course, a consistently healthy starter is only part of the equation when it comes to making a great loaf of bread!

koloatree's picture

3 more days before im off to vermont for KA Bread Baking class

October 26, 2009 - 7:17am -- koloatree

anything i should bring to prepare? i am going to be driving from south jersey all the way up to vermont so its going to be a journey. i will be bringing a camera and a notepad. anything else for the 3 day class? also, any nice places to eat on the way up there?

thanks!

turosdolci's picture

Statistics on the baguette consumption in France question

October 23, 2009 - 1:40am -- turosdolci

Does anyone know how to get recent statistics about the consumption of baguettes in France over the last 10 years

or so. I have tried contacting the The Association of Bakers in France in both English and French as well as other sources and never get an answer. There has been deep reduction in comsumption of the baguette and it has had a very negative effect on the bakers who prepare it from scratch ("a La Masion") a classification defined by the French government. I have been wanting to write an article "Save The Baguetts" but can only find old figures. 

Cooking202's picture

Baking percentages in lbs & ozs

October 21, 2009 - 11:40am -- Cooking202

I am not fortunate enough to have a scale that measures in grams and I can't bring myself to toss my old one "it still works".  I was nosing aroung the web and ran across this site. For any of you who are looking for something like this, it works really well.  And the best part, it explains in a way that even I can unbderstand.  If this has been posted before, I apologize.

www.artisanbakers.com/percentage.html

Carol

Neil C's picture

Freezing After Primary Fermentation

October 20, 2009 - 10:30am -- Neil C

Hi!

Does anyone have experience and/or advice freezing dough after the bulk (primary) fermentation?

My recipes are usually typical French, beginning with a Pate Fermentee or a Poolish and a somewhat slow fermentation process at about 60 degrees.  Getting a truly accented nutty flavor seems to allude me.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Neil (Denver)

summerbaker's picture

Anadama and Artos from BBA

October 19, 2009 - 11:52am -- summerbaker

Having recently become a little weary of what seems like endless work on my sourdough starter and loaves based on Reinhart's formula in BBA, I decided to explore some of his other breads.  With so many people doing the BBA Challenge I decided to start in the beginning since there is much guidance out there for people who wish to make bread from the early chapters.  It has all been very useful and in particular I'd like to thank the Pinch My Salt blog for putting on the BBA Challenge and inspiring so many people to help each other become better bakers:

rolls's picture

richard bertinet dough and weighing small amounts

October 18, 2009 - 8:31pm -- rolls

hi i made richard bertinet's basic white dough the other day. as he suggested i weighed everything even the water, to be more accurate. however, i found it difficult to weigh small amounts such as the salt and yeast.

i also found my dough dry compared to his, although i did use his method and recipes and the results were excellent. i made two fougasse and two baguettes.

i was wondering if anyone can lend some advice regarding these?

thanks heaps.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking