The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

joyfulbaker's picture

Looking for banneton advice

June 12, 2010 - 1:00pm -- joyfulbaker

Hi there,

I am going to get a banneton for my birthday (who'd have thought it would be so exciting?)--yeah!  I was researching and saw some on fantes.com.  They have brotforms from Germany and Slovakia.  The description of the German ones doesn't mention staples, but the Slovakian ones have them.  Would that be a problem (i.e., rust?)?  I am looking for 1.5-lb capacity and 2.25-lb capacities (doesn't that mean TWO of them?--big birthday gift!).  Suggestions please?  Thanks,

Joyfulbaker

norco1's picture

dough unrisen

June 12, 2010 - 6:37am -- norco1

Created a pate fermente for use in PRs Vienna Bread recipe. The fermente had been developed over several days with

a high sour taste but not what I would describe as a starter. I mixed a tsp. of dry yeast into the flour

combo and kneaded for rising. Result:  no rise and a dense yukhee bread. What went wrong? Please

advise.

Chuck's picture

lower hydration skin for slashing?

June 11, 2010 - 3:46pm -- Chuck

My most recent loaf had much better slashes than ever before. I want to do this again every time; I solicit your feedback guesses as to why it worked.

My dough was 75% hydration with traditional dry yeast. After the autolyse, the first (and only) rise -including some stretching and folding- was uneventful. My shaping and sealing was pretty lackadaisical; in the end the surface was only adequate, certainly not "tight".

OttovonBrot's picture

Porter Rye

June 10, 2010 - 8:24am -- OttovonBrot

This week is Philadelphia Beer week and a local artisan brewery has teamed up with a bakery to make a Porter Rye bread. I was wondering if anyone out there had some good recipes for a beer loaf. It doesnt have to be Porter and it doesnt have to be Rye. I am just looking to see how beer is incorporated into making a load of artisan style bread.

Thanks!

Mebake's picture

Sourdough not rising.. SOS!!!!

June 8, 2010 - 10:56am -- Mebake

Though i made plenty of sourdough breads, i am having a hard time getting whole wheat levain from hamelman's bread to rise.

My starter was in full vigor when i made the levain, and levain rose nicely. its only when i mixed the levain into a final dough and retarded it immidietly in a 45 F refrig.. for 7 hours, that the dough is refusing to rise, even after 7.5 hrs out of fridge and in a warm place.

WHAT COULD BE WRONG? AND WHAT SHALL I DO WITH THE DOUGH, ITS GETTING LATE NOW, AND I EVENTUALLY HAVE TO GO TO SLEEP..

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking