The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

donenright's picture

How frigid is your fridge?

December 15, 2010 - 3:42pm -- donenright

Hello-

I've been trying a few baguette methods that call for a retardation in the refrigerator, and what confuses me is that many people say they get a bit of a rise out of their dough while it's in there. I get nada. The dough comes out pretty much exactly as it went in. Which leads me to ask, what's the point of the cold retardation? If yeast activity slows to the point of pretty much total inaction, the process isn't doing me much good, is it? 

TerryTB's picture

Quintessential French Sourdough - Pain Au Levain [Leader]

December 15, 2010 - 7:37am -- TerryTB

[First Post!]

When I first attempt a new bread, I don't know what to expect.  Much like a piece of art, I have an end goal in mind, but by the time I am to the "perfecting" stage, it could be mistaken for a completely different project from which it began.

Pain au levain.  Universal, complex, subtle.

ericb's picture

knife problem?

December 14, 2010 - 2:27am -- ericb

When I bake a dense, moist loaf, like this 80% rye from Hamelman's Bread, I find that I have difficulty cutting it. As the height of the cross-section increases, it seems like the friction of the knife blade causes the crumb to tear and roll into little scraps.

See?

ericb's picture

knife problem?

December 14, 2010 - 2:27am -- ericb

When I bake a dense, moist loaf, like this 80% rye from Hamelman's Bread, I find that I have difficulty cutting it. As the height of the cross-section increases, it seems like the friction of the knife blade causes the crumb to tear and roll into little scraps.

See?

Maggie Lou's picture

Safe Haven for Rising

December 13, 2010 - 12:59pm -- Maggie Lou

Hi,

I am hoping to begin making the Artisan Bread in five minutes.... My husband and I do not want to use polycarbonate or plastic in general for the purpose of rising the dough and keeping it refrigerated for the two week period. 

What else is recommended for this process and storing?  Anyone use just a wide steel  or ceramic bowl with saran wrap? 

I'd love some feedback.

Thanks much!!

ML

Spattznatt's picture

Problem:Degasing bread during transfer

December 12, 2010 - 9:29am -- Spattznatt

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations/suggestions on the best way to move bread after the final rise. I find that my dough always degases some during the transfer to the peel. What is the best way to avoid this from happening?I am slowly seeing improvements in my bread since finding The Fresh Loaf and I want to thank everyone for their input.

S

winestem's picture

Tartine bread baking attempts

December 11, 2010 - 10:53pm -- winestem

Help, help, help, help! I'm ready to throw in the tea-towel! I've got a wonderful smelling and behaving wild yeast culture going and I've followed the procedures in Chad Robertson's Tartine Bread to what I think is a perfect "T". The problem is that I'm getting almost no rise from the dough once it goes into the oven. I do the autolyse for 45 minutes, I get a magnificent smooth and silky fermentation, but in the end, I get dense, good-tasting, but too dense loaves! Any suggestions as to what I can try and/or am doing wrong?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking