The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Artisan Baking

The real deal.

HLozada's picture

Questions on Shaping bread

February 26, 2011 - 12:57pm -- HLozada

Greetings all!

I am following the instructions for the Tartine Basic Country Bread recipe and have some questions on the initial shaping.  The description is, basically, "use your bench knife and work each piece of dough to a round shape".  I think he means to shape a boule, but I can't make sense of his description and the photo sequence (usually pretty clear on other parts of the process) is not very clear here.  

dvuong's picture

Latest Bake: Dutch Crunch

February 23, 2011 - 11:23pm -- dvuong

Here is a picture of my latest bake - Dutch Crunch. I followed Peter Reinhart's forumla for Vienna Bread and applied the dutch crunch topping as suggested in BBA. 

I grew up eating Dutch Crunch bread so I was really excited to have found a forumla for this type of bread.  It was by far, hands down, the best dutch crunch I've ever tasted.  It had a slight sweetness and chewiness, while still crunch from the topping.  It made the most delicious sandwiches!

bobku's picture

Burnt Bagels

February 21, 2011 - 6:46am -- bobku

Dont kno why my bagels are coming out burnt on bottom. I'm baking on top of 2 layers of tiles heating them at 500 for about 45 min before baking . Baking at 500 for 5 minutes then lowering to 450 for about another 15 to 20 minutes. I would like to cook them a little browner but as it is the bottoms are burning? Any sugesstions

rjerden's picture

Bad results using vital wheat gluten in low gluten flour biga

February 21, 2011 - 6:02am -- rjerden

I normally use either Italian 00 flour or Hogdsen's Mill AP flour (either of which has about 9.8-10% protein per the mill specs) to make my Rosetta Rolls. I prepare a biga at 50% hydration with 90% of the flour and pre-ferment 12-16 hours. I add diastatic malt powder, water (52-55% final hydration), salt, and the rest of the flour for the final mix.

BKSinAZ's picture

My very first loaves of french bread & some lessons learned.

February 20, 2011 - 8:29am -- BKSinAZ

I finally decided to break free of my bread machine and hand make my bread for the first time. I really never liked the look of the loaves that came out a bread machine and felt more of a reward for doing it all by hand. I did use the same machine recipe (3 cups of Flour, salt, sugar, yeast, shortning, water)

jsk's picture

Mixing the SFBI miche dough

February 19, 2011 - 2:31pm -- jsk

I am planning to bake the SFBI miche formula that a lot of members are baking lately. The formula sais to "mix thoroughly by hand" and then to do 4 folds during bulk fermentation. Is mixing thoroughly by hand means only to mix it until a dough forms? No kneadig at all?

Thanks David or anyone who made this gorgeous looking loaf.

Jonathan.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Artisan Baking