The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General Discussion and Recipe Exchange

flournwater's picture

Dull and Flavorless

April 5, 2009 - 9:43am -- flournwater

I've come to the point where my bread has the texture I had hoped to achieve and also meets just about every other measure of success I had hoped for; except for flavor.  I have tried increasing the salt/sugar, adjusting the yeast, adjusting the amount of rise time for both the preferment and the finished bread dough, adjusting the ratio of preferment to other ingredients, and adjusting the baking time.  Bread flavor, what there is, doesn't change.  Any ideas?

george's picture

Sweet Bun Recipe

April 5, 2009 - 1:35am -- george

Hi, Its me again.

Am still looking to perfect the Sweet Soft Buns sold in bakeries in Asian countries.

Can someone help? I have tried many recipes but not satisfied with the results. Has anyone out there tried and succeeded. Do you mind sharing the recipe and technique.

Am thinking of enroling for some lessons maybe ib Taiwan.

jeanx's picture

Sourdough failure?

April 4, 2009 - 2:31pm -- jeanx

I have a sourdough starter that's a week old.

I have been feeding it every 12 hours, without discarding any.

I fed it this morning and 2 hours later, tried to make a loaf using the San Francisco Sourdough recipe from this website.

It hasn't risen after 4 hours.

I noticed 2 things about the recipe. #1, it never said "knead the dough", so I didn't. I just did exactly what the recipe says. 

and #2, it calls for Buttermilk, but never said when to add it- so again- I didn't.

geno4952's picture

Just a quick question.....

April 1, 2009 - 8:32am -- geno4952

As a newbie to this bread baking addiction I have a question. If I am baking bread in a breadpan how do I thump the loaf on the bottom to see if it sounds hollow??? Maybe it's just me but it sounds like it may be a bit difficult considering the loaf is in a steel or glass container and the bottom is inaccessible without taking the bread out of the pan. Wouldn't taking the bread out of the pan pose problems? Any advice will be greatfully accepted.

Geno

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General Discussion and Recipe Exchange