The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General Discussion and Recipe Exchange

Deonia's picture

Conversion table for converting metric to american measures........

April 26, 2009 - 10:58am -- Deonia

For Friar120, you may download a great little conversion chart and keep it on your desktop to us in converting any measurment you like. It's offered by Josh Madison on his site as a free download. I use it all the time to convert recipes ingredients from grams to teaspoons, cups, etc........

http://joshmadison.com/software

SallyBR's picture

Recipe overload question

April 23, 2009 - 10:13am -- SallyBR

Due to work constraints, I only bake bread on weekends, although I've been making my dough on Friday to get ahead of the game.

that means that every Thursday (yes, that would be today) I start to develop "bread anxiety" - which recipe to try? Repeat an old favorite again? Go for a totally unusual loaf of bread?

I have a list of bread recipes "to try very soon" that is getting to be ridiculous, but I still get more, download more, print more, bookmark more... it's pretty pathetic actually

michelleIL's picture

Day three of the pineapple juice starter.

April 21, 2009 - 8:01am -- michelleIL

I really enjoyed reading along here for some time, been lurking. So I liked what I read about the pineapple juice keeping out most of the nasty buggars from giving me an immediateraise, and I am on day three. Tomorrow it is flour and water, with twice daily feedings....hoping by the end of the week to have an established colony. Anyone add their starters that are thrown away as part of feeding to another recipe, like pancakes, or dinner rolls or something, maybe bagels...I dunno!

Amberh11's picture

Hawaiian Dinner Rolls

April 10, 2009 - 9:35am -- Amberh11

Only a few days left until easter and I have been the designated bread baker for my family's easter dinner. My mom loves those "Kings Hawaiian Rolls" ( the ones they are selling like crazy at costco right now ) so I was thinking...hey I want to try and bake rolls like that... does anyone have a recipe that is similar to these rolls?

hsmum's picture

Delicious hot cross buns

April 9, 2009 - 9:50pm -- hsmum

First, I am very new to bread-baking, so I am bursting with pride to tell someone my little success story!  I wanted to make hot cross buns, but wanted to make sure to make a tender rich dough and I wanted lots of fruit in it.  So with great trepidation I actually adapted a recipe to fit.  Those of you who bake regularly will chuckle at my naivete but I am just so tickled that it worked and not just tolerably well, even.  These are actually the best hot cross buns I've ever had.  

pjaj's picture

How to achieve a soft crust.

April 7, 2009 - 3:10pm -- pjaj

I am trying to duplicate a commercial loaf that is virtually crustless. It is a malt fruit loaf. I have tried baking it at a lower temperature for longer and with a pan of boiling water in the bottom of the oven. This is better, but it still comes out with a light, crisp crust. Any ideas how I could keep / make the crust softer? The recipe I'm using can be found in the discussion on this site here.

lainey68's picture

Dumb newbie question

April 6, 2009 - 7:15am -- lainey68

I have a really dumb newbie question, so please bear with me.

I am planning on making rolls for Easter this year. Because I have to attend two church services on Sunday, I was thinking of making the dough in advance. Here's my dumb question:

Can I refrigerate the dough ahead of time? Do I let it rise once and then refrigerate? Or do I just put it in the fridge and then let it do both risings when I'm ready? Here is a link to the recipe (from Bread Beckers):

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General Discussion and Recipe Exchange