The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General Discussion and Recipe Exchange

SallyBR's picture

English Cottage Bread

May 15, 2009 - 7:10am -- SallyBR

A friend of mine is from England, but has lived in the US for over 40 years - he asked me if I knew how to make "English cottage bread", which he often dreams about having

I searched this forum, found only some other kinds of cottage bread, none seemed to look like his description.

I managed to find a picture of it - if anyone has a recipe or a source (cookbook) for it, please post for me!  I would love to surprise him with a bread gift...

SallyBR's picture

Anybody here participating on the BBA Challenge?

May 15, 2009 - 7:04am -- SallyBR

I am not sure this was brought up here, but there is a big "net-challenge" going on, about 200 folks all over the world are baking Reihart's Bread Baker's Apprentice book, one recipe at a time

even though I am not a blogger, I decided to join.

Anybody here doing it too?

you can read all about it here

http://pinchmysalt.com/

Futurebaker65's picture

Pan sizes

May 14, 2009 - 10:29pm -- Futurebaker65

I am just starting to bake and I love it but I have a question , I have a recipe that call for a 8x4 loaf pan but I need to use a 9x5 instead , how can I change the amount of the ingredient needed ? Thanks to anybody can help.

Marco

dmsnyder's picture

Baguette surprise and a challenge.

May 5, 2009 - 10:27pm -- dmsnyder

Hi,

I baked the second best tasting baguettes ever tonight, to my surprise. I would like to invite other baguette questing members to test my hypothesis as to why they are so good tasting.

This afternoon, I had the urge to have fresh baked baguettes with dinner. I've been out of town and very busy since returning. My starter needed feeding. I hadn't made a poolish or pâte fermentée. I was stuck with making a straight dough baguette that could be ready to eat in 4-5 hours.

foolishpoolish's picture

Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Graham Flour

May 2, 2009 - 5:08pm -- foolishpoolish

Back in the US, and making bread here for the first time. I'm still learning about the flours available to me. For WW flour, I've been initially drawn to Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Graham flour (it has the large bran/germ that I am used to seeing from traditional stoneground flours). KA Traditional, by comparison, has a somewhat finer consistency and Bronze Chief seems ridiculously finely ground - totally alien to me, although I'm sure it performs well! 

SallyBR's picture

Question on Hamelman's Olive Levain

May 1, 2009 - 6:53am -- SallyBR

I am making this bread tonight to bake tomorrow - in his recipe, he says the bread profits from retarding the shaped loaves, which I will do

but it does not say if they can be baked straight from the fridge, or if they should stay at room temp for a few hours.

has anoone made this bread? I think I will remove it from the fridge and leave it for 3 hours over the counter, since I've been doing this for his Vermont sourdough and works fine, but if anyone has specific instructions, I am all ears!

Thanks!

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General Discussion and Recipe Exchange