The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General Discussion and Recipe Exchange

Mustang 51's picture

Look what I found!

May 28, 2009 - 8:13pm -- Mustang 51

Although I have been dabbling in bread for a little while, I still consider myself to be a newbie. The concept of a dough scraper is fairly new to me. I thought this would be a great tool to have, but I have laminate countertops. A metal scraper would be death for them. I have been using the biggest rubber spatula I have instead.

sybram's picture

Gluten and protein contents

May 26, 2009 - 1:28pm -- sybram

I'm using Progressive Baker bread flour by Horizon Milling.  I bought it in a 50# bag, and there is no information on the bag about protein or gluten content, except the list of nutritional info for 1 cup of flour.  It says one cup has 12 g of protein.  How do I figure it all out.   

I can get King Arthur Special - Unenriched bread flour from this same source.  Would that be a better over all choice?  I also have whole wheat and rye flours (50# each), so I don't want but one kind of other bulk flour.  The space thing is killing me.  Thanks for your advice.

Syb

sybram's picture

Difference in stretch and fold intervals

May 26, 2009 - 12:35pm -- sybram

I've seen several of you experienced bakers include in the details of your baking a statement that you autolysed and then did a stretch and fold three or four times at twenty minute intervals.  Researching a few sourdough bread formulas, I read to wait forty-five minutes between the stretch and folds.  Please explain.  Thanks.

Syb

SallyBR's picture

Hamelman's Pain au Levain

May 24, 2009 - 2:26pm -- SallyBR

Today I made Hamelman's Pain au Levain - recipe on page 158 of his book BREAD 

For months now I've been baking his Vermont Sourdough series every weekend, allowing the shaped boule to retard overnight.

This recipe is slightly different - a little rye flour is used in the starter, and also in the dough. He does not recommend retarding the bread, instead it should be baked after 2 - 2.5 hs final rise at room temperature.

IN a way, it is a pretty "quick" method for a sourdough, and I did not know how it would turn out.

SallyBR's picture

Help, I did it again....

May 15, 2009 - 8:29am -- SallyBR

.... could not resist getting a bag of exotic flour, thinking that FOR SURE there was a bread to make with it.

Teff flour.

I don't feel like making injera at the present time, and it's the only recipe that comes to my mind using it.

anything else VERY VERY tasty I could make with teff flour?

since I'm asking questions, why do I keep doing this to myself?

Thanks

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General Discussion and Recipe Exchange