The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

Figaro77's picture

Loaf pan sizes

March 5, 2010 - 8:50pm -- Figaro77
Forums: 

Hello from  a new member!

Can't wait to start baking these recipes but I notice that in many of them

no exact pan size is given, only "large" or "small".  Exactly how big is the large loaf pan

and how big is the small one as suggested in the recipes?

oskar270's picture

My 1st Classic French

March 5, 2010 - 8:36pm -- oskar270
Forums: 

I'm making my first Classic French Bread from a recipe on Sharon Tyler Herbst book.

The first step is to make the sponge; dissolve 2 tablespoons yeast in 2.5 cups water (110 F). Add 2.5 cups flour, stir 1 minute. Batter is soft like a soft pudding. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place free from drafts, overnight or at least 8 hours.

Sedlmaierin's picture

Newbie question- pre-shaping and shaping?????

March 5, 2010 - 7:58am -- Sedlmaierin
Forums: 

I am currently trying my hand on the recipe posted by Shiao-Ping of the Gerard Rubaud Miche-it says under procedure point 4. pre-shape and shape.

Could someone please explain what that means(I guess, the pre-shape is the most confusing part)?

Christina

P.S.:Also tagging on TFL etiquette question: should I have posted this under the orginial Rubaud thread by Shiao -Ping?

John Smith's picture

Pre-Ferment Over-rising help!

March 4, 2010 - 12:02pm -- John Smith
Forums: 

Good morning all!

I'd like to pick your brains if I may. I am planning some simple BBA french bread for this weekend and I have already made the preferment.  The trouble is, I made it Tuesday night and forgot about it till Wednesday morning! So instead of rising 90 min to 2hrs, it rose for about 8. I am hoping it is still salvageable since it is only the pre-ferment stage. as soon as I discovered it I punched it down and stuck it in the fridge. Any tips? more yeast in the final dough perhaps(no idea. seems like it might work) or do i need to start over.

coalpines's picture

flour source

March 4, 2010 - 9:51am -- coalpines
Forums: 

I know that a lot of you go through a lot of flour.  I use Dawn Foods in Denver. They have 20 locations arround the country. I buy KA Sir Galihad for $13.63 for 50#.  You do have to buy 40 or 50# bags.  www.dawnfoods.com  You should call them and ask for their product list. the web site will help you with locations and contact #'s

Marty

Sedlmaierin's picture

"Holzkohlensalz"-translates as charcoal salt........

March 3, 2010 - 11:17am -- Sedlmaierin
Forums: 

wondering if anybody has any ideas........the recipe from w. fahrenkamp is for a rye bread (1500g rye flour 1370 and 750g SD)-since it is meant to imitate the flavor of a bread baked in a wood oven, it calls for "holzkohlensalz"-charcoal salt. well, i have never heard of charcoal salt. does the idea of using liquid smoke strike fear into SD hearts? could i use one of those wooden grill planks-----should i just forget about it?

christina

enaid's picture

Urgent help - kneading

March 2, 2010 - 12:17pm -- enaid
Forums: 

I have just made some hot cross buns but, being hassled by grandchildren (I really do love them most of the time!),  I forgot to proof them before shaping them.  They have been proofing for about 30 minutes and are rising quite well.  Is there anything I can do now or shall I just bake them with just one proofing and hope for the best?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General