The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

kneadingbob's picture

sourdough with an unexpected result

June 3, 2010 - 8:16am -- kneadingbob
Forums: 

I've just baked my second batch of sourdough bread. The crust is chewy and the interior is chewy as well. Nice crumb and perfect. Mostly. Question: Shouldn't the bread have a bit of a 'tang' to it's flavor? Mine doesn't. Will the sourdough starter change in time? I assume it will. Is there something I can do or should have done? Or, is it suppose to be this way?

Any ideas?

venkitac's picture

Rules of thumb for retarding

June 2, 2010 - 7:36pm -- venkitac
Forums: 

Due to various schedules at work, it turns out that the best bet for me to bake bread during weekdays is to retard (preferably) the proofing. I've been trying to piece together from various books rules of thumb to convert yeasted bread recipes that are not retarded, to a retarded proof. So far, I've more questions than answers:)

nicodvb's picture

Why does sugar affect gluten development?

June 1, 2010 - 3:34pm -- nicodvb
Forums: 

Hi,

recently I'm doing lots of croissants:-)  and I'm experiencing lots of negative effects on gluten development by sugar: while without sugar the dough hydratation can get as high as 60%, with little sugar added  (20%) -whether dissolved in water or added to the flour- I can barely reach a 50% hydratation.

Can anyone explain the underlying physics? Is there any countermeasure other than adding flour?

chetc's picture

About the Biga or sponge

June 1, 2010 - 6:09am -- chetc
Forums: 

I am about to make some bread later today, I made a Biga 1 1/4 cups  flour 1 cup water & 1/4 tsp Instant yeast. question I have is when I put the Biga mix in my bowl and the remaining 3 cup flour, how much more yeast do I have to add. this bread recipe without the biga calls for 2 1/4 tsp yeast, 4 cups flour, & 1 1/3 cups water & one egg. sugar & salt.

Chet

Newfieguy's picture

Garlic friends Garlic! Lets talk about Garlic!

May 31, 2010 - 3:42pm -- Newfieguy
Forums: 

Question ohh sage bakers! 

If you want to make something with a garlic flare like that kick butt ciabatta bread recipe that is floating around, what is the best way to do it?

Chop up a few cloves of garlic and mince it and throw it in as you mix it up or go for powder?

Has anyone every experimented with raw garlic in bread and does it throw any of the rising or process?

Thanks all!

NG

mikeofaustin's picture

I really want TFL to be an awesome site: just here me out

May 26, 2010 - 1:16am -- mikeofaustin
Forums: 

With all the crazy economies and such, people are really in a bind.  I've experienced that recently with treasurenet.com.  it's a site mostly for us old people that swing a metal detector and talk about it.  However recently, the site owner sold his site and there is no longer a forum that us old people/ I can go to, to meet my firends and talk about what ever crazyness crosses my mind.   

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General