The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

dahoops's picture

Pain Au Chocolat

May 28, 2011 - 6:34pm -- dahoops
Forums: 

After thinking about doing this for a while, I decided since it was gloomy and raining all day to give it a shot.  I saw a post from another member and decided to use Bertinet's CRUST version.  I like that the recipe calls for bread flour and 1/2 the butter of a normal croissant (1/2 pound vs 1 pound).

Whew!  It was a workout considering it took 4 roll outs.  But, I'd do it again for the sheer exquisite flavor.

Jmarten's picture

Can anyone please help

May 26, 2011 - 8:38pm -- Jmarten
Forums: 

I am a recently new home bread baker and I'm happy and proud to say, I have not bought a loaf of bread from a shop since Jan. this year. I have mastered the artisan loaf with the very crusty outside but I just can't get the wonderful large holes inside. I have been using the pre ferment method. I would really appreciate any advice. Also, does anyone have a good, easy sourdough starter recipe that doesn't require taking half out and so on, I can't understand why the recipes don't just give half the quantities in the first place.

mhjoseph's picture

Has anyone heard of Bin 19 High Gluten Flour?

May 22, 2011 - 8:23am -- mhjoseph
Forums: 

I purchased 5 pounds of high gluten flour from a local bakery. The owner said the brand is Bin 19 but I'd like find out some the specs like if it's bleached, the protein percentage, etc. I couldn't see the bag that it came from, it was back in the shop and the owner didn't have much information that he was willing to provide me. A Google search didn't reveal anything either.

swtgran's picture

PB and J swirl rolls???

May 19, 2011 - 7:47am -- swtgran
Forums: 

This is probably not feasible but... would it be possible to make a swirled bun, that looks like a cinnamon bun, with chunky peanut butter spread on it, then a thick jam or preserve for a PB & J roll?  It could even be glazed with a PB type glaze.  I'm thinking maybe not because the PB & J would melt.  Just a thought that went through my head.  Terry R

achilles007's picture

What type of oven generally is best?

May 16, 2011 - 2:08pm -- achilles007
Forums: 

1.) I have a conventional oven that doesnt work as well in giving me steady temps in the 300-500 range, and was looking for a substitute or alternative to help me bake breads breads superbly? Preferably something on the not-so-expensive side.

2.) And what is best for pastry? Or do breads, and pastries prefer the same oven environments?

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General