The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

lahm's picture

Toronto bread testers for small bakery

June 29, 2011 - 7:26am -- lahm
Forums: 

Hello Everyone!

Do any of you live in Toronto?

My husband and I are opening a small bakery/cafe in Toronto's Little Portugal neighbourhood this fall. I am looking for bread lovers/bakers to test our bread and pastries. Friends and family are too nice/scared to be critical in the way we need. So, who out there would like some free baked goods on a weekly basis? Your only obligation is to analyze all aspects of the product. Please challenge us!

swtgran's picture

hushpuppies

June 24, 2011 - 7:15am -- swtgran
Forums: 

Not exactly a yeast bread, but still a bread of sorts.  We have had some real good luck fishing this spring and we are planning a family fish fry.  I would like to serve good hushpuppies with the beer batter fish and home made fries.  In the past, my hushpuppies just have not hit the mark.  Does anyone have a tried recipe they would be willing to share? 

bagel_and_rye's picture

July "Taste-and-Tell" with Chicago Amateur Bread Bakers

June 23, 2011 - 3:16pm -- bagel_and_rye
Forums: 

Our next "Taste-and-Tell" event will be Saturday, July 30, at 6pm. To join the group and RSVP to the event, please visit us at http://www.meetup.com/Chicago-Amateur-Bread-Bakers/

The "Taste-and-Tell" is a monthly event, to which each baker is required to bring his/her own freshly baked, yeasted bread. "Bread" in this context includes baguettes, boules, batards, pizza, focaccia, rolls, challah--in short, anything made by fermenting grain with yeast.

nicodvb's picture

What makes the dough feel weightless?

June 22, 2011 - 4:36am -- nicodvb
Forums: 

It surely happened to all of you: sometimes the bread comes out of the over so well that even if it's bulky it feels weightless. The opennes of the crumb is generally a confirmation of the lightness of the loaf.

What happens in cases like that? More water evaporates? Or maybe some other magic is responsible?

I always measure the loaves when they are baked and totally cold and I never saw any significant difference in weight between the ones that came out lighter respect to the denser ones.

I'd really like to understand the physics of this weight perception:-)

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General